[Commlist] New Book and Early Launch - The Post-Screen Through Virtual Reality, Holograms and Light Projections

Sat Nov 13 22:27:53 GMT 2021

New book:

The Post-Screen Through Virtual Reality, Holograms and Light Projections: Where Screen Boundaries Lie (Amsterdam University Press, November 2021).

https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789463723541/the-post-screen-through-virtual-reality-holograms-and-light-projections

Screens today set up diminishing boundaries between image and object. For example, the aim of Virtual Reality (VR) is to render its screen boundaries as imperceptible as possible, or to "disappear" altogether. Contemporary screen media erode, if not erase, viewers' perceptual differentiations between their actual reality and the virtual reality of the image they experience. This, then, is the post-screen. What it engenders is really the sense of "no more media": we may now think of everything as cinema, or as image, or as virtuality. The terms of reality and illusion have lost their old semantic values. In the post-screen, they are no longer related in the ways they used to be across the screen's boundaries. Instead, we grapple with another regime of truth values.

"Jenna Ng's book is an exciting read. The goals are ambitious: to uncover the emerging culture of 'post-screens' that bleed into our lives and environments; to understand their position within the tradition of screen media from early modernity onwards; and to reflect on how they shape our experience and understanding today." - Pasi Valiaho, University of Oslo

"Jenna Ng presents us with a convincing argument: while traditional frames of the pictorial are vanishing, the screen becomes internalised onto the body of the spectator. The book looks at the future of post-screen media with the best approach I can think of: a strong sense of history and an insightful philosophical toolkit." - Jussi Parikka, FAMU (Prague) and University of Southampton (UK)

The author is Senior Lecturer in Film and Interactive Media at the University of York, UK. She is also the editor of /Understanding Machinima: Essays on Filmmaking in Virtual Worlds /(Bloomsbury, 2013).