[Commlist] Invitation Leverhulme ECR applications

Thu Oct 14 16:46:43 GMT 2021

The Department of Media Arts at Royal Holloway, University of London, invites outline proposals from postdoctoral scholars interested in applying for a Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship.

Our department offers a dynamic and stimulating environment for research, underpinned by a commitment to social justice and an inclusive vision of the role of film, television and digital arts  in today’s world. We are committed to developing transnational and diverse approaches to key issues in film, media and cultural studies. Our cutting-edge research combines the critical and historical analysis of film, television, visual art and digital media with creative media practice in these areas. It is informed by innovative approaches to national and transnational cinemas, issues of identity, film and television histories, histories of television production, cinema’s political cultures.

Over the past years, we have expanded our core base in film and TV studies to digital art and digital media theory. We have assumed a leading role in innovating digital and immersive storytelling and VR. Our flagship research and knowledge transfer project StoryFutures <https://www.storyfutures.com/> has been supported by UKRI. Its focus is the development of VR and immersive experiences in collaboration with the creative industries. Additional areas of research strength in digital cultures include the cultural investigation of software and data  as well as game studies

We also encourage interdisciplinary projects that draw on the expertise of other Royal Holloway departments such as Drama, Music, Geography, History and Modern Languages.

For details of the Leverhulme scheme, see: https://www.leverhulme.ac.uk/early-career-fellowships . Please pay attention to the eligibility criteria: applicants must hold either a degree from a UK higher education institution or a fixed-term academic position in the UK, and must have submitted their PhD thesis between 24 February 2018 and 24 February 2022 (except for individuals who have taken a career break). This time frame has been extended, however, to include 24 February 2017 if the applicant’s work has been affected by COVID.

We have an internal selection process for prospective candidates. If you are interested, please send to Daniela Berghahn ((daniela.berghahn /at/ rhul.ac.uk)) by 5pm on Thursday 4 November an outline proposal consisting of: 1. a one-page summary of the planned project, indicating research questions, research context, methods and outcomes;
2. a CV (maximum two pages);
3. a short statement (maximum one page) of how your project would intersect with research currently underway at Royal Holloway, specifying which departmental member(s) have given outline agreement to be your mentor. Please consult the Media Arts Research website https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/research-and-teaching/departments-and-schools/media-arts/research/ <https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/research-and-teaching/departments-and-schools/media-arts/research/> Candidates who successfully proceed through all stages of the internal selection process will then be invited to submit a full Leverhulme application supported by Royal Holloway, for which the closing date will be in February 2022.