[Commlist] Special Issue & Virtual Conference: Digital Futures A Human Centred Digitization and Communication

Wed Sep 22 23:49:25 GMT 2021

CONNECTIST ISTANBUL UNIVERSITY JOURNAL OF COMMUNICATION SCIENCES

SPECIAL ISSUE

DIGITAL FUTURES: A HUMAN CENTRED DIGITIZATION AND COMMUNICATION

CALL FOR PAPERS

CONNECTIST Istanbul University Journal of Communication Sciences, Issue 63

      Issue Guest Editors:

* Dr. Paul Elmer (University of Westminster, UK)

Associate Head of Westminster Business School

* Dr. Candan Celik Elmer (University of Central Lancashire, UK)

Senior Lecturer/Associate Prof.

e-ISSN 2636-8943 | Period Biannually | Founded: 1992 | Publisher Istanbul University | https://iupress.istanbul.edu.tr/en/journal/connectist/home <https://secure-web.cisco.com/1v58Xemix1s8E6wq_y5oFiz-GNe-94dTBp-fQbd3jm0gSEw4Bj18viQCbJslSdze8dfo-5WFIyxS3dwUiWe3QtTnZw2nubZBKFJ1lyVas09C9z8Nw-FGtEiaEkOgUr4zsbKg3iRi8ejW---wefnK_06LOrb_y7MLJGX4Ijv6RRin04LvdFzeYYw7l2wtgIsNXV-wmxPFNkqmKQ-RRnXrymyCB8vm1XkP3eR9F9BUiAVLOM0pd8Jn6hb3ryHOOt0eS/https%3A%2F%2Fiupress.istanbul.edu.tr%2Fen%2Fjournal%2Fconnectist%2Fhome>

DIGITAL FUTURES: A HUMAN CENTRED DIGITIZATION AND COMMUNICATION

VIRTUAL CONFERENCE

May 26-27, 2022

This call for papers is for publication of a special issue of Connectist. It is combined with a call for submissions to a virtual conference on the same theme, which may precede publication.

Participants in the virtual conference on Digital Futures: A Human Centred Digitization and Communication will benefit from feedback and an opportunity to refine or develop work, prior to submission to the associated journal.  Also, it will be a great opportunity to network with other researchers from different parts of the world to open a discussion on various emerging topics, compare practices in different communities, and develop research networks.

Successful submission to the journal does not depend upon participation in the conference, and nor does participation in the conference guarantee publication, but we aim that these two activities will support each other, and our participants, as they develop work for publication in the Connectist special issue Digital Futures: A Human Centred Digitization and Communication

If you would like to be considered as a participant for the virtual conference, please submit a word document containing:

- title of the project

- author(s) name

- author(s) affiliation(s)

- author(s) organization(s)

- 500-word abstract.

Submission Deadline: February 4, 2022

Email submissions to (connectist /at/ istanbul.edu.tr) <mailto:(connectist /at/ istanbul.edu.tr)>

Notification of acceptance: March 4, 2022.

CALL FOR PAPERS: Connectist special issue

The way we experience change has been characterised as a Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). This single phrase simply, but perhaps unhelpfully, refers to a broad sweep of ongoing socio-economic change, and invites us to experience our lives as subject to rapid, simultaneous and systematic transformation.  Such changes are framed by advances in science and technology, expressed through new ways of living, working and communicating with each other.  The term has been applied to explain blurred geographical boundaries, challenges to existing regulatory frameworks, and even to redefine what it means to be human (World Economic Forum, 2018).

Further explanations enrich this narrative of change. A discernible optimism flows from some accounts, in which the violence of coal, steam and water in the first industrial revolution, contrasts with a positive emphasis on bringing together the potentials of human and machine in the fourth.  Change in the 4IR is suspected of being faster and deeper than any other revolutions (Pollitzer, 2019), and some of those changes touch upon what it means to be a human, and challenge us to develop a human-centred approach for the future (World Economic Forum, 2021).  The fusion of digital technologies in the shape of robotics, machine learning, ICT, big data, augmented reality, affect all aspects of our lives, from how we work to how we learn, how we consume and how we communicate. Through these instruments, it is claimed, the Fourth Industrial Revolution will change not only what we do, but also who we are. In consequence, change is focussed at the level of the individual; as change to our identity and all the issues associated with it, our sense of privacy, our notions of ownership, our consumption patterns, the time we devote to work and leisure, and how we develop our careers, cultivate our skills, meet people, and nurture relationships (Schwap, 2016).

We can quantify beyond doubt a digital transformation that has touched all aspects of human life and society. More than five billion people have mobile phones (Pewresearch, 2019). There are 4.66 billion active internet users, which is 59.5% of the global population. Most internet users, 4.32 billion, use a mobile device to access the internet, and over 3.6 billion people are using social media worldwide which will increase 4.41 billion in 2025 (Statistica, 2021).

During the rapid period of social change prompted by Covid-19, observers have pointed out that the digital and physical space has merged in new ways, and the expansion of digital technologies into areas of human life appeared to gather pace. When the pandemic enforced restrictions on face to face and physical communication, human behaviours quickly adopted digital communication technologies and we observed new individual habits. We rapidly learned how to celebrate the birthday parties on WhatsApp, have meetings with our colleagues on Teams, or watch films with our friends in a Netflix Party. Socially, our city streets were busy with delivery drivers, taking parcels to online shoppers while retail districts were deserted, and many retailers remained closed. By necessity, many people adopted new ways of communicating; some of these adaptations may become permanent. Yet we also felt the loss of physical contact with one another and suffered the absence of traditional communication. Across the globe, humans experienced a wave of change as digital technology rapidly altered our behaviours. As a result, now is the right time to explore salient questions about the prospects for human-centred digitization and communication.

In this issue we would like to explore how the changing role of technology in our communication experience, and understanding of, societies, economies, human relations, businesses, and environment.  We would like to question how individuals and societies can shape the future using technology, and how digital futures will change human experience. We are interested in exploring the optimism that has attached to 4IR; how technology and digital transformation can be deployed to improve the quality of communication and life in all areas.

We believe the more we understand about the impact of this change on our lives, we can be the part of this change and we have the ability to manage this change.

We welcome all articles exploring the human-digital technologies relationship in communication and we have two specific questions to answer:

How digital technologies will positively contribute future of human communication?

How can we deal with the negative outcomes of digital technologies on human communication?

In these subject areas:

      Media and creative industries

      Smart environment and smart cities

      Future of work

      Equitable digital future

      Future of education

      Understanding of new society

      Consumer engagement and consumer behaviour.

Publication Details

Papers must not exceed 7,000 words. Papers for publication must be in English. Submissions will receive double peer review. You can find the author guidelines at the https://iupress.istanbul.edu.tr/en/journal/connectist/information/author-guidelines <https://secure-web.cisco.com/173Y-K71SyWneHFrbqFugBVYn_4CfEwCjoTaOM3bVRoeJT37hfYB8oNfW0TX4KwIqNRW9ipZuqVY6kSUts_j7307Vy_00hb7RWSmockqYF07TGGZqQVSP6mQN4BYwJjZmLy1eTRm7HSa6i_cyrPXcKRZFtcvIGtxzqP5vpNB940vft2r2q_htmJ9zcVazBBCnu1LPJocawXRFWcpckdTzF8vJuZRDCKFByCs_e3_78C0ikBWAC5WZNXucPAQbeWFV/https%3A%2F%2Fiupress.istanbul.edu.tr%2Fen%2Fjournal%2Fconnectist%2Finformation%2Fauthor-guidelines>.

If you have further questions you can contact to issue editors.

Dr. Paul Elmer (P.Elmer /at/ westminster.ac.uk) <mailto:(P.Elmer /at/ westminster.ac.uk)>

Dr. Candan Celik Elmer (Ccelik /at/ uclan.ac.uk) <mailto:(Ccelik /at/ uclan.ac.uk)>

Please submit your papers for the journal with the title page. Title page should include;

- title of the project

- author(s) name

- author(s) affiliation(s)

- author(s) organization(s)

- author(s) email address(es) and telephone number(s).

Important Dates:

Submission Deadline for Virtual Conference: February 4, 2022

Notification of Acceptance for Virtual Conference: March 4, 2022

Virtual Conference: 26-27 May, 2022

Deadline for Initial Connectist Submission: June 10, 2022

Deadline for Final Connectist Manuscripts: October 7, 2022

No payment from the authors will be required.

Bibliography:

Pew Research Center. (2019). Smartphone Ownership Is Growing Rapidly Around the World, but Not Always Equal. https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2019/02/05/smartphone-ownership-is-growing-rapidly-around-the-world-but-not-always-equally/

Pollitzer, E. (2019). Creating A Better Future: Four Scenarios for Digital Technologies Could Change The World. Journal of International Affairs, Vol. 72, No: 1, 75-90.

Samans, R. & Davis, N. (2017). Human Centered Economic Progress in the Fourth Industrial Revolution: A leadership Agenda For G20 Governments. World Economic Forum. http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Advancing_Human_Centred_Economic_Progress_WP_2017.pdf

Schway, K. (2016) The Fourth Industrial Revolution: What It Means, How to Respond. World Economic Forum. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/the-fourth-industrial-revolution-what-it-means-and-how-to-respond/

Statistica. (Jan, 2021). Global Digital Population as of January 2021. https://www.statista.com/statistics/617136/digital-population-worldwide/

Statistica. (2021). Number of social network users worldwide from 2017 to 2025. https://www.statista.com/statistics/278414/number-of-worldwide-social-network-users/

World Economic Forum. (2018). Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution.

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Center_4th_Industrial_Revolution.pdf

World Economic Forum. (2021). Fourth Industrial Revolution. https://www.weforum.org/focus/fourth-industrial-revolution