[Commlist] International Journal of Creative Media Research - Issue 7 Published: Immersive Media as Research Practice

Tue Sep 14 22:59:29 GMT 2021

*International Journal of Creative Media Research*
*_Issue 7 / Oct 2021: Immersive Media as Research Practice_*
*www.creativemediaresearch.org <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/>**
*

IJCMR logo.jpeg
*Guest Edited by Matthew Freeman (Bath Spa University) & Naomi Smyth (Bath Spa University)*
*Sponsored by the Bristol+Bath Creative R+D Partnership*

Immersive technologies such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), spatial audio and artificial intelligence (AI) now present rich avenues for the creative industries, capable of transforming our cultural and media experiences. But they also pose new kinds of methodological challenges for researchers and makers, and the central question at the heart of this special issue is: /What role does immersive media play in the design of new research practices? /How, for example, can we best engage with the innate hybridity of immersive media, given the way that VR experiences often incorporate elements from performance, games, film, art installations and even theme parks? If AI is in some way capable of re-imagining our relationships with daily life, then how are these kinds of technologies reshaping research practices too? How might immersive media more generally impact our interpretation of audience or user responses across the creative industry landscape? And is now the time to develop new kinds of research practices based on the affordances of immersive technologies?

This special issue of IJCMR engages with these questions by exploring the ways in which different disciplines and different corners of the creative industries are approaching the task of researching (with) immersive media technologies and their audiences. Articles span a range of cutting-edge practice-as-research topics, comprising VR film, AR games, immersive sound, mixed-reality performance, art installations, immersive marketing, and uses of immersive media as new forms of audience engagement, cultural heritage, and academia-industry R&D.

Enjoy the content, and please share widely.

*_ISSUE 7 CONTENTS <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/issue-7-october-2021>:_*

*Editorial: Immersive Media as Research Practice <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/issue-7-october-2021>* /- Matthew Freeman //(Bath Spa University) //& Naomi Smyth (Bath Spa University)/

*Nazaré and Immersive Media: New Approaches to Cultural Heritage through Mixing Old and New Media <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/nazar%C3%A9-and-immersive-media>*
/- Celia Quico (//Lusófona University)/

*"I am not really sure how to explain”: Marketing Augmented Reality Experiences to New Audiences <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/i-am-not-really-sure-how-to-explain-marketing-augmented-reality-experiences-to-new-audiences>*
/- Matthew Freeman (Bath Spa University)/

*Audience as Co-Writers: Using Conversational AI to Deliver Audience Agency in Participatory Drama <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/audience-as-co-writer-conversational-ai-as-audience-agency-in-a-participatory-drama>*
/- Rik Lander (University of the West of England)/

*Inverting the ‘Black Box’ of Technology: The Digital Ghost Hunt <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/inverting-the-black-box-of-technology-the-digital-ghost-hunt>* /- //Carina Westling (Bournemouth University), Elliott Hall (King's Digital Lab) & Mary Krell (University of Sussex)/

*Is This Even Possible? Co-Creating University and Industry Learnings for Immersive Experiences <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/is-this-even-possible-co-creating-university-and-industry-learnings-for-immersive-experiences>* /- Helen Davies (University of South Wales) & Bronwin Patrickson //(University of South Wales)/

*‘(In-)Between Spaces: Challenges in Defining the Experience of Space in Mixed Reality Art Exhibitions <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/in-between-spaces-challenges-in-defining-the-experience-of-space-in-mixed-reality-art-exhibitions>*
/- //Izabela Derda, Tom Feustel & Zoi Popoli (Erasmus University Rotterdam)/

*The Truth of Sound: Exploring Immersive Location Sound Recording in Realist Filmmaking <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/the-truth-of-sound-exploring-immersive-location-sound-recording-in-realist-filmmaking>*
/- Steve Whitford (University of Portsmouth)/

*Dis_place: Reflections on Creating Mixed Reality Performance Using Virtual Reality Technologies <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/post/dis_place-reflections-on-creating-mixed-reality-performance-using-virtual-reality-technologies>*
/- Kerryn Wise (De Montfort University)/

*CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:*
We are now accepting submissions for future issues. Please consult our Author Guidelines <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/author-guidelines> page for further information. Contact details can be found here <https://www.creativemediaresearch.org/contact>.