[Commlist] Tenure Track Job Opening Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts

Sat Sep 11 21:25:30 GMT 2021

The Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a tenure-track position in Film Studies and Media Production. We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration. We seek a colleague who is a film studies maker-scholar, whose work falls into the area of critical media practice, exploring the intersections between film/media theory, history, and production practice, and whose research includes a commitment to critical paradigms expressed and embodied both in scholarly publication as well as through moving image production. This maker-scholar will help integrate our film studies curriculum with our media production offerings, while expanding the range of courses we offer in both these areas at the undergraduate and graduate levels. This position also extends a larger department tradition of critical scholarship, complementing a commitment to original, interdisciplinary research with forms of expression not limited to the written word alone.

Specific areas of expertise are open, with preference for candidates whose work is focused on Black cinema and expressive culture; critical race and/or postcolonial perspectives on film and media; or the intersections of technology, aesthetic, or performance theories with media arts production.

*Requirements*

PhD in Film Studies, Media Studies, Communication or related discipline preferred, MFA also considered.

*Additional Information*

The appointment is expected to begin September 1, 2022.

*Applicant Instructions*

Applicants should submit the following materials:

 1. Cover letter addressed to Professor Shawn Shimpach, Chair of the
    Search Committee, Integrative Learning Center, Rm N332, 650 N.
    Pleasant St., University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
 2. CV
 3. Portfolio of recent moving image media production work and/or
    multi-modal scholarship, including contents list (with files or
    links to at least two samples), full production credits, and
    specific media production proficiencies
 4. One article-length example of research
 5. Evidence of teaching effectiveness
 6. Names and contact information for three professional references

In addition to the materials noted above, applicants should also submit a one-page diversity statement that discusses the candidate’s skills, experiences and commitment to: teaching and mentoring diverse and historically underrepresented student populations, professional service that assists in achieving equity, inclusion, and diversity, and how the candidate’s past or future research addresses fundamental questions important to an increasingly diverse and global society.

*Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. *

https://careers.umass.edu/en-us/job/509264/communication-assistant-professor-critical-media-productionfilm-studies?_gl=1*1xh2xrn*_ga*MTU4NzEzMjc0My4xNjI5MTQ4NDA5*_ga_21RLS0L7EB*MTYzMTA2MDIzMy4yOC4xLjE2MzEwNjI1NzEuMA..&_ga=2.56126382.484491259.1631048116-1587132743.1629148409 <https://careers.umass.edu/en-us/job/509264/communication-assistant-professor-critical-media-productionfilm-studies?_gl=1*1xh2xrn*_ga*MTU4NzEzMjc0My4xNjI5MTQ4NDA5*_ga_21RLS0L7EB*MTYzMTA2MDIzMy4yOC4xLjE2MzEwNjI1NzEuMA..&_ga=2.56126382.484491259.1631048116-1587132743.1629148409>

/The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual’s record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic career and degree/*/./*

If you have any questions about the position or the application process, please feel free to contact the search committee chair, Prof. Shawn Shimpach, (atshimpach /at/ umass.edu) <mailto:(shimpach /at/ comm.umass.edu)>.