[Commlist] Locked Down and Locked Out: new report published

Mon Sep 06 14:42:03 GMT 2021

Today sees the publication of /Locked Down and Locked Out: The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on mothers working in the UK TV industry/: read the full report here: http://nottingham.ac.uk/go/ldlo <http:// nottingham.ac.uk/go/ldlo>.

Image shows pregnant figure and child against the background of a television studio <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/isir/locked-down-and-locked-out.aspx>

The report represents the voices of hundreds of television workers and is published by the Institute for Screen Industries Research <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/isir/index.aspx>and the University of Nottingham <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/>in partnership with Telly Mums Network <https://twitter.com/tellymums1>, Share My Telly Job <https://www.sharemytellyjob.com/>and Bectu <https://bectu.org.uk/>.

/“There was no allowance made in the production schedule for the fact that I was teaching and caring for a 6-year-old while trying to run an edit from my kitchen table.”//
/

Written by Dr Natalie Wreyford, Dr Jack Newsinger, Professor Helen Kennedy and Dr Rowan Aust, the research throws a spotlight on the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the careers, finances and mental health of mothers working in unscripted television and makes a series of recommendations for broadcasters, commissioners, regulators and policymakers.

/“The TV industry doesn’t care about freelancers, our mental well-being or our safety - we are disposable and it’s fundamentally rotten at its core.”/

    About the authors

  * Dr Rowan Aust <https://pure.hud.ac.uk/en/persons/rowan-aust> is
    Research Fellow at the University of Huddersfield and Co-Director of
    Share My Telly Job.
  * Professor Helen Kennedy

<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/clas/departments/culturalmediaandvisualstudies/people/helen.kennedy> is
    Professor of Creative and Cultural Industries at the University of
    Nottingham.
  * Dr Jack Newsinger

<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/clas/departments/culturalmediaandvisualstudies/people/jack.newsinger> is
    Assistant Professor in Cultural Industries at the University of
    Nottingham.
  * Dr Natalie Wreyford
    <https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/natalie.2.wreyford.html> is
    Lecturer in Culture, Media and Creative Industries at King’s College
    London.

    For more information contact:

  * Professor Helen Kennedy, Department of Cultural, Media and Visual
    Studies, University of Nottingham
    Email (helen.kennedy /at/ nottingham.ac.uk)
    <mailto:(helen.kennedy /at/ nottingham.ac.uk)>
  * Emma Rayner ((emma.rayner /at/ nottingham.ac.uk)
    <mailto:(emma.raynerr /at/ nottingham.ac.uk)>), Media Relations tel: 07738
    291242