[Commlist] cfp: Data & Society Workshop: Parables of AI in/from the Global South

Mon Aug 23 06:58:30 GMT 2021

*Call for Participation *

*Parables of AI in/from the Global South*

**

*Workshop Dates: October 21-22, 2021*

*Apply by: August 30, 2021*

**

*Overview:*

Data & Society Research Institute <https://datasociety.net/>, in collaboration with an advisory group of partner experts, has just launched *Parables of AI in/from the Global South*, a two-day storytelling workshop asking the question: /What stories do we tell of a world that has increasingly come to rely on AI-based data-driven interventions to resolve social problems?**/

We invite applications from researchers, activists, artists, investigative journalists, and thinkers in or outside the academy that investigate the meanings and implications of everyday life in a data-driven world. Prior engagement with and experience in critical technical practice or any one of the approaches to the Global South such as *critical development, race, caste, gender, postcolonial, and decolonial studies is preferred.*

*Why Apply:*

This workshop is designed to open space for dialogue and conversation surrounding the use and implementation of data-driven technologies in our everyday lives, expand the range of who has authority to speak about AI, and foster collaborations across a multiplicity of communities and actors around the world. It is a platform for you to showcase your story and connect with a broad interdisciplinary group of like-minded people. *All eligible storytellers will also receive a $150 USD stipend.*

*How to Apply:*

If you are interested in attending this workshop, you may either

 1. propose a story to be workshopped (/become a storyteller/); or
 2. describe how your expertise and experience makes you a relevant
    participant (/become an active listener/).

If you select “Either,” please submit a summary of your story only: you will be considered for participation even if your story is not selected for the workshop.

*Workshop Partners:*

Our advisory group of experts are Dibyadyuti Roy <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0684-7977?lang=en>, Jonathan Corpus Ong <https://www.umass.edu/communication/node/1525>, and Paola Ricaurte <https://research.tec.mx/vivo-tec/display/PID_18587>.

*For more information: *

https://datasociety.net/announcements/2021/07/13/call-for-participants-parables-of-ai-in-from-the-global-south/ <https://datasociety.net/announcements/2021/07/13/call-for-participants-parables-of-ai-in-from-the-global-south/>