[Commlist] eco_media 2021 symposium

Thu Aug 19 10:20:17 GMT 2021

*eco_media 2021 now fully online and welcoming guests!*

The eco_media steering committee are pleased to announce that eco-media 2021 will proceed as planned on Monday 30 August (9am-6pm Melbourne time). However, due to continuing lockdowns in Melbourne, we have had to make this an online-only event on Hopin. Guests are invited to join us, watch presentations, and contribute to the discussion!

The aim of the eco_media project is to understand how environmental issues, questions, and concerns are communicated through media forms, and to play at the borders of disciplines including media and environmental studies, philosophy, and communication theory.

With the circulation of vaccines around the world, we are hopefully shifting to a new phase of life after the COVID-19 pandemic. The core concern for eco_media 2021 will thus be: how might attention now refocus on environmental issues, on the ever-present existential threat that predated the chaos of 2020-21? How has the pandemic changed our approach to or understanding of our world and our place in it? What creative, theoretical, empirical or philosophical approaches might best help us move forward in innovative and responsible ways?

This year’s eco_media symposium opens with a provocation by Professor Sean Cubitt titled "3 Digressions (on the way to eco-aesthetic politics)”. Sean Cubitt is Professor of Screen Studies at the University of Melbourne, and has published widely in the history, philosophy and theory of media, with books including The Practice of Light, The Cinema Effect, and Videography: Video Media as Art and Culture. More recent research sees an interest in the intersections of media representations and technologies with ecological concerns.

The schedule for the day can be viewed at https://ecomediaresearch.com/eco_media_iii/eco_media-2021-schedule/ <https://ecomediaresearch.com/eco_media_iii/eco_media-2021-schedule/>

The complete abstracts can be viewed at https://ecomediaresearch.com/eco_media_iii/eco_media-2021-abstracts/ <https://ecomediaresearch.com/eco_media_iii/eco_media-2021-abstracts/>

If you would like to attend the event as an observer, please:

1. Buy an Observer ticket via Eventbrite — https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/eco-media-symposium-iii-ever-newer-normals-tickets-156444043345 <https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/eco-media-symposium-iii-ever-newer-normals-tickets-156444043345> 2. Create a Hopin account (if you don’t have one already) — https://hopin.com/sign_up <https://hopin.com/sign_up> 3. Register for the eco_media Hopin Event — https://hopin.com/events/eco_media-2021 <https://hopin.com/events/eco_media-2021>
4. Join us on the day!