[Commlist] conference: Journeys Across Media 2021: Beyond the Pandemic

Mon Jun 14 12:55:03 GMT 2021

The Film, Theatre and Television department at the University of Reading are preparing to host the annual Journeys Across Media PG Conference.

We are eager to include a wide range of interdisciplinary research from a variety of institutions and look forward to hearing from you!
Please see more about this year's theme and the call for papers below.

The JAM Organising Committee (Gemma Cutler-Colclough & Andrew I. Philip) *
*

*
*

*
*

*Journeys Across Media: a Postgraduate Conference*

*15th**^**September 2021*

*Department of Film, Theatre & Television*

*University of Reading*

*
*Call for Papers*
*

**

*Beyond the Pandemic – productive and situational legacies in media*

The potential for a successful global vaccine rollout means a possible return to pre-pandemic media practices. This conference seeks to reflect on the productive and situational legacies of media strategies devised during the pandemic as the spread of the virus is brought under control.

The creative industries have become reliant on digital communications to survive. Will these practices become normalised, with smaller screens and micro audiences becoming a permanent aspect of media production? What shifts in research and practice methodologies and innovative ideas for performance and production will continue beyond the pandemic? How have arts organisations pivoted to ensure survival, where have these failed, and at what cost the communities of interest they serve? What changes will be borne from necessity rather than choice? The pandemic has in many ways gifted global audiences with greater access to culture via digitisation. What are the opportunities and challenges from a social perspective, and how do we answer those challenges with our own practice?

We welcome Practice as Research contributions.

The conference seeks to draw together curated groups on topics included but not limited to:

  * Sharing research stories: engaging with the virtual audience
  * Sharing across borders, cultures and communities through practice
  * Legacies of online film festivals
  * The online audience in live TV and Theatre
  * Staging/Screening the pandemic
  * Notions of practice and the live environment
  * Human connections in sharing
  * The immediacy of working in a pandemic
  * The reality of staged screenings
  * Access, participation and the virtual meeting
  * World-making in online events
  * Blended futures
  * Virtual/Digital places and spaces

*
*

*Format*

The conference aims to take place live in Minghella Studios at the University of Reading and streamed to online audiences. We will include online and live presentations and panel members as a way of proposing how conferences might function in the future to include some of the positive legacies of productions during the pandemic.

We welcome proposals in a variety of forms, including:

-20-minute papers

-Preconstituted panels with up to 3 papers

-Video essays

-Participatory workshops – both online and live

*Please send abstracts of no more than 500 words by 19th July, 2021 to: *(jamconference2020 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(jamconference2020 /at/ gmail.com)>

**

*Indicative timings*

*
*