[Commlist] Call for Book chapters: Technocreep and the Politics of Things Not Seen

Tue May 25 13:53:18 GMT 2021

The following call for book chapters may be of interest to some. Details at https://technocreep.lmc.gatech.edu/ <https://technocreep.lmc.gatech.edu/> and a brief summary below.

Neda Atanasoski (Professor, University of California Santa Cruz) and Nassim Parvin (Associate Professor, Georgia Tech) welcome chapter contributions to an edited collection of essays titled, Technocreep and the Politics of Things Not Seen, with an anticipated date of publication in 2023.

In a moment when technological creep is increasingly seen to exacerbate atomization and isolation, our collection invites a reimagining of what radical collectivity can be in the era of digital capitalism. In doing so, we seek alternate analytical frames that can at once encompass the critique while moving us beyond the economic frames of loss and extraction—as important as they are—to complement them with the experiential and relational dimensions of technology. Thus we are especially excited about contributions that develop pragmatic interventions that disturb the dominant uses of technologies and even speculative and imaginative accounts of more just futures.

At this stage, we are seeking an abstract of about 500 - 800 words to be submitted to us by the June 15 (CFP) through the form below. We will notify selected contributors by early July. Initial chapter drafts will be due August 15, 2021, and should be between 3500-4500 words (excluding references). For any other questions or inquiries please contact: (technocreep2023 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(technocreep2023 /at/ gmail.com)>

+++

Technocreep and the Politics of Things Not Seen
Abstracts due: JUNE 15 2021
Initial chapter drafts due: AUGUST 15 2021
Following the success of a symposium series in Spring 2021, Neda Atanasoski (Professor, University of California Santa Cruz) and Nassim Parvin (Associate Professor, Georgia Tech) welcome chapter contributions to an edited collection of essays titled, Technocreep and the Politics of Things Not Seen, with an anticipated date of publication in 2023.

In recent years, discourses around technological creep into private domains have evoked a sense of loss inclusive but not limited to the loss of privacy, loss of data, loss of control over one’s property, or the loss of meaningful demarcations between work, home, and play. Technological creep describes those technologies that appear to keep an ever-present watchful eye on all aspects of our lives, yet whose presence is often hidden or pushed to the background. We refer to these technologies as creepy when their seemingly benign ways of seeing, interpreting, protecting, serving and predicting become salient in new and often startling ways. Most associated with creep and creepiness are those technologies that are embedded in the fabric of our most intimate, daily routines (examples include but not limited to mobile phones, CCTV cameras, sensors, biometric devices, social media, or digital personal assistants). While scholars have theorized and criticized these technologies under themes of extraction, surveillance, data monetization, and more broadly of loss, such accounts may not to fully capture all the nuances of how such technologies can be at once creepy and useful, domineering and necessary, or encroaching even as offering possibilities for alternate collective practices and grassroots political action.

Taking the oppositional yet interlaced duality of technological creep and more radical feminist and antiracist ways of seeing and being seen seriously, this volume seeks to consider the multiple, contested, and potentially hopeful axes of seeing and being seen within, through and against software, algorithms, automated systems, and platforms. While accounting for various technological objects and platforms as a part of surveillance capitalism, we also ask, what is not captured about the politics of seeing and being seen within the liberalism’s binary rubrics of surveillance and privacy? How are the boundaries of the inside and outside, family and stranger, and subjects and objects worthy of being seen, watched, or monitored drawn, redrawn, or contested through the design and uses of technologies? What is it that remains unseen--as in unrecognized, unnoticed, or otherwise unworthy of our attention?

Abstracts should indicate how the paper will address one or more of the above questions. Topics of interest might include but are not limited to: policing; warfare; home; bodies; fashion; food; labor; medicine; property; mobility; travel; borders; law; education; friendship. The edited volume also welcomes abstracts by artists and activists and visually rich contributions inclusive of alternate genres and formats such as poetry, short stories, or exhibition reviews. We also welcome contributions that are transnational and/or not limited to the US context.