[Commlist] Kimposium! the sequel

Wed May 05 17:54:25 GMT 2021

*KIMPOSIUM! THE SEQUELONLINE,**14 - 16 September 2021*

*
*

In 2015 we held */Kimposium!/* <https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2016/jan/14/whats-wrong-with-studying-the-kardashians> to great success. Now, as /Keeping Up with the Kardashians/ draws to a close <https://theconversation.com/keeping-up-with-the-kardashians-no-more-the-complicated-legacy-of-realitys-first-family-145949>after twenty seasons, we revisit and renew our feminist thinking about these globally famous women.  Renowned and reviled, loved and hated, the Kardashians are icons of early 21^st  century celebrity cultures. But this family represents and embodies so much more. Indeed, studying the Kardashians and their products leads to consideration of some of the most pressing social and cultural issues of our time.

Please submit your*proposals of less than 300 words by 26 July 2021*to (kimposium /at/ brunel.ac.uk) <mailto:(kimposium /at/ brunel.ac.uk)>

For more information seehttps://www.brunel.ac.uk/research/Institutes/Institute-of-Communities-and-Society/Kimposium?klk <https://www.brunel.ac.uk/research/Institutes/Institute-of-Communities-and-Society/Kimposium?klk>

We welcome submissions in various formats including but not limited to:

  * Artist responses
  * Performances, live or recorded
  * Five-minute ‘pop up’ papers
  * Pre-recorded audiovisual presentation
  * Group presentations
  * Standard 20-minute papers
  * Interviews
  * Video essays

*We invite works from any discipline that address, but are not limited to:*

  * Advocacy, prison reform
  * Aesthetic labour, glamour labour, Beauty, cosmetic surgery, makeup,
    contouring
  * Birth, surrogacy, egg freezing
  * Blackfishing, cultural appropriation
  * Celebrity and trans
  * Gender, matriarchy, momagers
  * Ideal body types, shapewear, revenge bodies
  * Influencers, digital entrepreneurs
  * Kardashian histories including the murder of Nicole Brown & trial of
    OJ Simpson
  * Ideal body types, shapewear, revenge bodies
  * Influencers, digital entrepreneurs
  * Kardashian histories including the murder of Nicole Brown & trial of
    OJ Simpson
  * New forms of consumerism and capitalism
  * Represented space: Los Angeles, Architecture, interior design
  * Sex tapes
  * Celebrity Single motherhood
  * Social media and selfies
  * Vocal fry

For a full list seehttps://www.brunel.ac.uk/research/Institutes/Institute-of-Communities-and-Society/Kimposium?klk <https://www.brunel.ac.uk/research/Institutes/Institute-of-Communities-and-Society/Kimposium?klk>

  * Because of the pandemic I am working remotely.
  * For general information about Brunel’s response to the Coronavirus,
    advice or support, please visit our Coronavirus portal

<https://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/coronavirus-information-for-the-brunel-community/COVID-19-our-recovery>