[Commlist] Technology and Tradition Academic Conference

Sun Apr 18 20:36:31 GMT 2021

Technology and Tradition: An Interdisciplinary Conference
Saturday 5th June 2021
Hosted by Futureworks, Manchester UK. Panels to be held on Zoom.
Panels to be held on Zoom. Attendance is free. Please email (joe.darlington /at/ futureworks.ac.uk) to register.

Academics, and media scholars in particular, are drawn to the new, the different, and the changing. Our emphasis always seems to be on what is cutting-edge, on radical breaks from the past. Far less attention is given to the continuities. And yet, as most practitioners will tell you – be they writers, musicians, animators, artists or filmmakers – it is continuity of practice that grounds most of our artistic mediums. Traditional methods of approach, the rudiments, the foundations; these staples of creative media production are, we contend, often taken for granted and overlooked in our academic search for new developments. This conference aims to bring together researchers from media, music and sound, video games, film and TV, animation, sociology, history, literature, politics, art and aesthetics, to interrogate the role of tradition in digital media and technology more broadly.

There will be four panels:
•	TECHNOLOGISING TRADITION
•	TECHNOLOGY AND OBSOLESCENCE
•	TECHNOLOGY AND SONIC TRADITION
•	TRADITION AND INTERFACE

Attendance is free.

Panels to be held on Zoom. Please email (joe.darlington /at/ futureworks.ac.uk) to register.