[Commlist] Book publication from the international Game of Thrones project

Mon Apr 12 13:31:03 GMT 2021

Newly published book which presents the main findings from the ambitious 2016-7 project to study the audiences for the TV series /Game of Thrones/.  The project, at whose heart was a complex online questionnaire, managed to attract over 10,000 completions, which included more than 3 million words of articulated responses to the show, and was designed to allow a rich mix of quantitative and qualitative analyses.

The book’s details are as follows:

Martin Barker, Clarissa Smith & Feona Attwood, /Watching Game of Thrones: how audiences engage with dark television/ (Manchester University Press 2021).

We are really proud of the book and the project which enabled it.  The project was funded entirely by contributions from the more than 40 participating researchers based in 14 countries.  We believe that its data and materials allow us to make substantial contributions to a number of topics: to important specific debates such as how audiences relate to fictional characters, how they deal with disappointment in a TV series, and how they build and deploy a sense of the ‘world’ through a narrative such as /Game of Thrones/; to understanding the series itself as a cultural phenomenon, and more broadly to our understanding of the changing role of ‘fantasy’ in contemporary political culture, and to the large field of audience research and theory.  It also contributes new materials and ideas to the complex debates that the show attracted, around attitudes to sexual violence and its representation. Finally the book enables access to the project’s full database, which is now being placed in the public domain for anyone to investigate and evaluate.