[Commlist] Walking Festival of Sound 2021 / April 5-25

Thu Apr 01 11:24:56 GMT 2021

Jacek Smolicki and Tim Shaw are delighted to extend this invitation to the Walking Festival of Sound 2021.

The event kicks off on Monday, *April 5*, 5pm and will go on until Sunday, *April 25*. The link to the opening event follows below.

*Walking Festival of Sound* is a transdisciplinary event and a meeting point for the international network of practitioners and researchers interested in sound and walking. Through diverse events we explore how walking and listening practices can augment and challenge the way we perceive, navigate through, and care for our shared environments. In 2019 the festival took place in two cities, Stockholm, Sweden and Newcastle upon Tyne, the UK. In April 2021, the festival is moving to Kraków and Edinburgh, places historically bound by a twin town partnership.

This year's theme revolves around the notion of solidarity. Thus, we hope to explore how attentive listening and walking can be practiced as forms of solidarity between generations, cultures, and species. Among numerous conceptual, historical, and spatial avenues, during WFoS 2021 we will walk through the history of slavery in Edinburgh, traverse soundscapes of borders, give hearing to ecotones outside a zoological garden, travel though the vanishing soundscapes of the Arctic, let tinnitus rewire our perception, and challenge our humanly routines through active, ecological, and unanticipated listening assignments.

Due to the pandemic, most of the events will take place online.The full program and links to free registration can be found on *www.wfos.net <http://www.wfos.net/>*.