[Commlist] Online PhD course: Researching Transnational Television

Mon Mar 22 20:45:21 GMT 2021

Online PhD course: Researching Transnational Television: (27-29 May 2021), organized by Aarhus University

PhD-students and early-career Post-Docs in the fields of television studies and transnational media research are invited to a three-day online PhD course (27-29 May 2021, CEST) offered by the PhD Programme "ICT, Media, Communication & Journalism" and the Centre for Transnational Media Research at Aarhus University, Denmark. Participation in the course is free of charge and open to applicants from institutions across the world. The course language is English. The deadline for the online-application is 15 April 2021. Applicants will be notified about their participation shortly after the application deadline. Link to application: https://events.au.dk/researchingtransnationaltelevisionf2021/signup This course addresses "translation matters" and explores key issues across different levels of research: - Translating the industry: How do we make sense of different tangled trading systems, corporate strategies, local practices and power relations as part of the 'global value chain'? How do you sell a concept from one territory to another? How do we translate industry experts' performances into insightful and critical research? - Translating audiences: How do we understand audiences' responses from around the world? How can we relate to their experiences? - Translating theory: How do we use theoretical concepts rooted in one language and/or academic community in another and make them fruitful for our research?

Leading, international scholars from the field of (transnational) television studies contribute to the course with talks, individual feedback. Confirmed speakers: Reader Janet McCabe (Birkbeck, University of London), Associate Professor Luca Barra (University of Bologna), Professor Jean K Chalaby (City, University of London), Professor Hanne Bruun (Aarhus University), Associate Professor Susanne Eichner (Aarhus University), Associate Professor Pia Majbritt Jensen (Aarhus University) and Assistant Professor Cathrin Bengesser (Aarhus University).

Read more about the course here: https://cc.au.dk/aktuelt/arrangementer/vis-arrangement/artikel/phd-course-researching-transnational-television/

We are looking forward to your applications. Please feel free to share with colleagues, who might be interested. If you have questions about the course, please get in touch with Dr. Cathrin Bengesser ((cbengesser /at/ cc.au.dk)).