[Commlist] New book: Independent Filmmaking in South East Asia

Mon Mar 15 14:03:37 GMT 2021

New book:

*/Independent Filmmaking in South East Asia: Conversations with Filmmakers on Building and Sustaining a Creative Career/*

I was very fortunate to be able to travel to all ten South East Asian capital cities in 2017 and interview 27 remarkable content creators about working and living in a region that had fascinated me for a very long time. Their stories are collected in this book.

I hope that those of you teaching and researching into Screen Practice, Cultural Industries, Creative Careers, Asian Cinema, or South East Asian Studies might find this work useful and engaging. Routledge is currently offering a 20% discount through their *website* <https://www.routledge.com/Independent-Filmmaking-in-South-East-Asia-Conversations-with-Filmmakers/Meissner/p/book/9780367608941>.

To make the content more widely available and easier to use in the classroom (where I hope it will end up), we have created a *companion website* <http://www.southeastasianfilmcareers.com/> with 27 micro-documentaries on all filmmakers interviewed in the book. Have a look, it’s free and my attempt to combine more traditional ethnographic research outputs with creative practice elements.

*The official blurb…*

    Featuring interviews with 27 award-winning and emerging filmmakers,
    this book is the first comprehensive look at independent filmmaking
    careers in South East Asia with never-before published insights into
    the lives and careers of some of the most influential filmmakers in
    one of the world’s most exciting screen production regions.

    Celebrating filmmaking in South East Asia, the interviews offer
    unique perspectives that highlight the various paths filmmakers have
    taken to establish and develop their independent filmmaking careers.
    Presenting filmmakers whose films span narrative, documentary and
    experimental genres, and from all ten South East Asian nations, the
    filmmakers in this collection include:

  * Camera d’Or winner Anthony Chen
  * Sundance Grand Jury Prize nominee Mouly Surya
  * NETPAC Award Winner Sheron Dayoc
  * Brunei’s first female director, Siti Kamaluddin
  * Directors of the Wathann Festival, Thaiddhi and Thu Thu Shein
  * Lao’s only female and first horror film director, Mattie Do

    Aimed at aspiring filmmakers with a focus on career building outside
    of global production hubs, Meissner has curated a collection of
    interviews that reflects the diversity and ambition of filmmaking in
    South East Asia.

*...and two reviews...*

    /'Independent Filmmaking in South East Asia is a timely exploration
    of independent filmmaking away from hegemonic centres of production.
    These authentic voices from the diverse cultures of South East Asia,
    expertly captured by Dr Nico Meissner, reveal exciting new
    entrepreneurial and filmmaking practices that give us hope for the
    plurality and wellbeing of World Cinema.'/

*Erik Knudsen* (Professor of Media Practice at the University of Central Lancashire, UK)

    /'An inspiring book with pragmatic advice for filmmakers and rare
    insights for film programmers, policymakers and movie goers. Highly
    recommended for cinema students and faculty. Wherever you live, Nico
    Meissner’s interviews with 27 South East Asian filmmakers will
    convince you that while talent is important, patience and
    perseverance are the keys to success. '/

*Jeannette Paulson Hereniko* (Founding Director, Hawaii International Film Festival)

If any of you would like to chat about similar projects that look at creative careers, use ethnographic methods, or attempt to combine creative practice with more traditional academic research methods, please let me know. Zoom has made those discussions much more effortless and I would love to hear from others with similar research interests. Plus, I currently work and live in Brisbane, which has great weather and nice people but is far away from the rest of the world.