[Previous message][Next message][Back to index]
[Commlist] NordMedia 2021 call for abstracts
Thu Feb 18 03:43:40 GMT 2021
The submission deadline for the NordMedia 2021 conference is only a few
days away. Make sure to submit your abstract by February 19th, 2021. The
biennial conference will take place August 18th – 20th 2021 at the
University of Iceland in Reykjavík. The theme of NordMedia21 is Crisis
and Resilience: Nordic Media Research on the Frontline. A pre-conference
for doctoral students will take place on August the 17th.
For more information see the conference website
(https://nordmedianetwork.org/nordmedia-conference-2021/). For further
information than that given below, please contact Valgerður
Jóhannsdóttir ((vaj /at/ hi.is))
At the end of March, the chairs of the divisions/temporary working
groups will have made their decision and an acceptance or rejection
letter will be sent by email. The deadline for full papers and long
abstracts is June 30th. The decision concerning whether the conference
will be an onsite or virtual event will be taken in May, before the
Types of presentation
• Paper presentation – full paper (6,000-8,000 words). Typically, a
paper presentation will be allotted 10-15 minutes for presentation and
15-20 minutes for discussion.
• Paper presentation – extended abstract (2,000-3,000 words). Typically,
an extended abstract presentation will be allotted 10 minutes for
presentation and 10 minutes for discussion.
• Panel presentations (a number of full papers or extended abstracts).
Typically, a panel lasts for 1-1 ½ hours, and consists of a number of
10-15-minute presentations, followed by a longer discussion. There
should be a common theme to the panel.
• Workshop – based on an abstract (2-3000 words). Typically, a workshop
lasts 1-1 ½ hours, where a theme is presented during 10-15-minutes.
Thereafter audience members become participants, and together with
presenters make or discuss something concerning the theme. At the end,
there is a 10-15 minute wrap-up. The purpose of the workshop could be to
aid the presenters in their research or to come up with a common good,
something all participants can use.
General Guidelines for Abstracts
• The word limit for abstracts is 500 words. The abstracts should be
written in clear and concise English, followed by five keywords.
• All abstracts have to be addressed to a specific conference division
or temporary working group (listed below).
• Submission of multiple abstracts is allowed, but one can only be the
main author of one submission. If multiple abstract submissions from the
same author are accepted, the author must decide which one’s she/he will
present. However, one can still co-author other accepted papers in
addition to the main one.
• Incomplete abstracts will not be reviewed. Abstracts cannot be
modified once they have been submitted.
• All abstracts must be submitted using the online system provided and
follow the instructions given
which will be open for submission in January 2021.
Guidelines for Panel Abstracts
The guidelines for panels follow those of general abstract guidelines,
but with the following additions:
• A panel session must have a 400-word description of the theme of the
panel, a brief account that specifies why this topic is important, and a
clear explanation of how it contributes to the overall work of the
conference division or working group
• A list of suggested panellists and titles of papers and a 300-word
abstract for each paper in the panel.
• A panel session proposal must include the name of the contact person
for the panel. The contact person will act as organizer of the panel
session and is responsible for communication with the chairs and
co-chairs of the hosting division or temporary working group as a
representative of the whole panel group.
• By default, the contact person will act as a moderator of the panel
session. Alternatively, an outside moderator can be used. In this case,
the contact information of the suggested moderator should also be
included in the panel proposal.
Guidelines for Workshops
The guidelines for workshops follow those of general abstract
guidelines, but with the following additions:
• A workshop session must have a 500-word abstract describing the aim
and anticipated outcome of the workshop, a brief account that specifies
why this topic is important, and a clear explanation of how it
contributes to the overall work of the conference division or working group
• A list of suggested workshop leaders.
• A list of materials needed.
• A workshop session proposal must include the name of the contact
person, who will act as organizer of the workshop and is responsible for
communication with the chairs and co-chairs of the hosting division or
temporary working group.
• By default, the contact person will act as a moderator or leader of
the session. Alternatively, an outside moderator or leader can be used.
In this case, the contact information of suggested moderator should also
be included in the proposal.
• Division 1: Audience Studies
• Division 2: Environment, Science and Risk Communication
• Division 3: Journalism
• Division 4: Media and Communication History
• Division 5: Media, Globalization and Social Change
• Division 6: Media Industries
• Division 7: Media Literacy and Media Education
• Division 8: Organization, Communication and Promotion
• Division 9: Political Communication
• Division 10: Television and Film Studies
• Division 11: Theory, Philosophy and Ethics of Communication
Temporary Working Groups
• TWG 1: Game Studies
• TWG 2: Gender and Media • TWG 3: Media, Communication and Health
• TWG 4: Visual Communication and Culture
More information NordMedia 2021 conference page:
Pre-conference for doctoral students:
Call for abstracts:
This mailing list is a free service offered by Nico Carpentier. Please use it responsibly and wisely.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit http://commlist.org/
Before sending a posting request, please always read the guidelines at http://commlist.org/
To contact the mailing list manager:
Email: (nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)
[Previous message][Next message][Back to index]