[Previous message][Next message][Back to index]
[Commlist] Job: PhD assistant in French and (social) media, Ghent University (Belgium)
Wed Feb 03 14:36:59 GMT 2021
*ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY*
Employing more than 8,000 people, Ghent University is actively involved
in education and research, management and administration, and technical
and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most
exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities.
With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering
state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a
wide range of academic fields,
* You will spend at least 50% of your assignment on scientific
research as part of the preparation of a doctoral thesis on the
French language and (social) media, as a member of the MULTIPLES
The doctoral thesis may be about one of the two following themes:
1. A topic of your choice about the French language and (social) media
2. When online video journalism replaces tv news among the younger
generations: a multimodal critical discourse analysis (MCDA). Study
cases: digital-only media with an active presence on social media
Examples of research questions:
o How factual vs. emotional news coverages are constructed in
these videos based on interviews of experts or laymen, in a
post-truth era in which the word of experts is more and more
questioned by citizens?
o How this new online and visual approach to journalism influence
the use of the French language and journalistic codes (e.g.
short videos of interviews, all content subtitled, focus on the
experts’ or laymen’s word, absence of voice over)?
o How the journalistic and linguistic codes in use are targeted to
a younger audience? How are the news framed for the younger
* You will provide teaching assistance at the department, specifically
in the French Language Practice courses of the Bachelor programme.
* You will supervise BA dissertations.
* You will contribute to internal and external services provided by
*WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR*
* You hold a degree of Master in Translation, Interpreting or
Multilingual communication, in French Languages and Cultures or an
equivalent Master. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union,
a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree
requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
* You have preferably written an MA thesis on a French subject.
* You have a keen interest in academic and/or project-based research
* You are highly proficient in speaking and writing French.
* Proficiency in Dutch is recommended but not compulsory.
* Any teaching experience or participation in extra training sessions,
conferences, etc. is considered an asset.
* You have excellent teaching and communication skills, you are
flexible and a team player.
*WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU*
* We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for
two years, on condition that the previous term was positively
evaluated. _Attention_: If you were previously appointed as a junior
assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish
Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term
of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the
Codex of Higher Education.
* Your appointment will start on 1 October 2021 at the earliest.
* Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3.
More information about our salary scales
* All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such
as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of
paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A
complete overview of all our fringe benefits
<http://www.ugent.be/nl/vacatures/personeelsvoordelen.htm> (in Dutch).
Apply *online through the e-recruitment system* *before the application
deadline* (see link below). We do not accept late applications or
applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
* In the field *‘Cv’*: your cv and an overview of your study results,
including a short summary of your BA and MA theses (and the grades
you received), as well as a digital copy of your MA thesis (all
merged into one pdf file)
* In the field *‘R**esearch proposal’*: A first description of the
research on French and (social) media that the applicant will carry
out, containing thefollowing elements: background;
objectives/questions; method; feasibility.
* In the field *‘Cover letter’*: your application letter in pdf format
* In the field *‘Diploma’*: a transcript of the required degree (if
already in your possession). If you have a foreign degree in a
language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German)
or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
* In the field *‘Certificate of equivalence’*: only for diplomas
awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence
(NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity
policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
You can apply in French or in English.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Catherine
Bouko ((Catherine.bouko /at/ ugent.be) <mailto:(Catherine.bouko /at/ ugent.be)>).
LINK TO APPLY
This mailing list is a free service offered by Nico Carpentier. Please use it responsibly and wisely.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit http://commlist.org/
Before sending a posting request, please always read the guidelines at http://commlist.org/
To contact the mailing list manager:
Email: (nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)
[Previous message][Next message][Back to index]