[Commlist] CfP - 9th Annual conference on comparative media studies (CMSTW'2021)

Mon Jan 25 23:12:52 GMT 2021

I am glad to invite you to submit to and take part in the 9th International Conference 'Comparative Media Studies in Today's World' (CMSTW'2021). We will be happy to see you in St.Petersburg, Russia (virtually), on April 20-21, to discuss the theme 'Communication Architectures'. We see this topic as timely and relevant; the 'platform society' (Poell et al., 2018) infuences the societies around the world and across all areas of life, which has become especially evident during the pandemic. Presence on platforms correlates with trust to mediated communication, information consumption patterns, public memorization, and dynamics of social ties. Platforms as actors influence policing beyond Internet arenas, shape mass trade, and impeach politicians.

Please see the full CfP attached below.

We have incredible keynote speakers confirmed. They are Noshir Contractor, the ICA President-Elect, and Barbie Zelizer, ICA President in 2009-2010. Two more keynote speakers are expected to be announced within January. Track chairs are Silvio Waisbord, Katrin Voltmer, Anna Litvinenko, and Olessia Koltsova.

The general deadline is March 1, 2021 (subject to slight extension on request). As always, we accept full and short papers, as well as abstracts. Moreover, due to the short notice, we have moved camera-ready submissions to June 1, 2021, much beyond the conference. We also accept group submissions, such as panel proposals and workshops (group discussions dedicated to reviewing collective publication projects).

Publication opportunities include a helped submission to Digital Journalism (Q1 Scopus) and a special issue in Future Internet (Q2 Scopus), the latter with 15% discount from the initial price.

All questions and queries may be addressed here, on our Facebook community page, or to (cmstw2020 /at/ spbu.ru) - we are still using the 2020 mailbox, as active communication on the previous conference is still on.

The fees are significantly reduced due to the virtual state of the conference. Individual fees are 20 euro per submission (10 euro for PhD students) and 70 euro per panel/workshop. This will include acess to all the events and get-together virtual activities.