[Commlist] Second Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation

Fri Aug 14 12:02:51 GMT 2020

First call for papers for the Second Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation

The first CfP for our HEPP2 conference 6-8 May 2021 is out. Please consider filling the webform to submit your abstract.
*The Second **Helsinki Emotions Populism and Polarisation Conference: Call for Papers*
After the success of our conference in August 2019, the Helsinki Hub on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation <http://www.helsinki.fi/hepp> and its associated projects, Mainstreaming Populism in the 21st Century (MaPo) and Whirl of Knowledge: Cultural Populism in European Polarised Politics and Societies (WhiKnow), invite proposals for papers for the Second Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism and Polarisation, to be held both in person and online from 6 to 8 May 2021.
With the subtheme of the conference being ‘Mainstreaming Populism in the Era of Transnational Crises’, to reflect on the relationship between pandemia and other current and past crises with populism, we encourage papers that approach the following and related themes:

·       Mainstreaming populism

·       Politics, populism, and social and political movements

·       Radical democracy

·       Subjectivity, affects, and gender

·       Politics, polarisation, and hybrid media

·       Cultural populism

·       Populism in a COVID-19 and post-pandemic world

·       Hybrid media and the polarisation of information

·       The re-articulation and politicisation of Europe

·       Populism, common grounds and communities of knowledge

·       Empathy as a counter to polarisation and/or antagonism

We especially welcome contributions from early-career researchers, andin a variety of formats: live in Helsinki, live via video, or via pre-recorded video.
Applications to the first CfP and more details, including about our 2019 conference, can be found via the conference website here: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/emotions-populism-and-polarised-politics-media-and-culture/call-for-papers. The CfP requires the submission of your abstract (200-300 words) with a short academic bio by 15 September 2020 via our webform here: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/emotions-populism-and-polarised-politics-media-and-culture/call-for-papers. Accepted participants will be notified by 10 October 2020.

You can also follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HEPPresearchhub) and acknowledge your possible attendance on the event page there, too!

The members of HEPP2's organising committee are Juha Herkman, Emilia Palonen, Virpi Salojärvi, Marina Vulovic, and Claire Gilray.
We understand that planning regarding conference participation can be difficult right now, and will issue the second call for papers later in 2020.
If you have any questions about the conference, please do not hesitate to contact the organising committee’s secretary Claire Gilray ((claire.gilray /at/ helsinki.fi) <mailto:(claire.gilray /at/ helsinki.fi)>).