[Commlist] New special issue of Communication & Sport: Sport Communication and Social Justice

Thu Jul 09 15:14:53 GMT 2020

We are pleased to introduce a new double issue of Communication & Sport, featuring 14 original articles tackling various dimensions of athlete activism, the mediation of social justice campaigns, and (self)representations of minority groups in sporting contexts.

*Sport Communication and Social Justice*

Special issue editors: Daniel Jackson (Bournemouth University), Filippo Trevisan (American University, Washington), Emma Pullen (Loughborough University) and Michael Silk (Bournemouth University).

https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/coma/8/4-5

Towards a Social Justice Disposition in Communication and Sport Scholarship

Daniel Jackson, Filippo Trevisan, Emma Pullen, and Michael Silk

Sport and the Quest for Unity: How the Logic of Consensus Undermines Democratic Culture

Michael L. Butterworth

Rhetoric, Materiality, and the Disruption of Meaning: The Stadium as a Place of Protest

Anthony C. Cavaiani

Promotional Space or Public Forum: Protest Coverage and Reader Response in Team-Operated Media

Michael Mirer and Adrianne Grubic

Borrowing Brands to Create a Brand: The Commercial Mediation of Paralympic Athletes

Carolyn Jackson-Brown

Uninspired: Framing Wheelchair Basketball and Able-Bodied Basketball in College News Sources

John C. Watson

Football, Media, and Homophobia: Public Framing of the First Pride Game in the Australian Football League

Merryn Sherwood, Alex Donaldson, Suzanne Dyson, David Lowden, Timothy Marjoribanks, Jane Shill, Bruce Bolam, and Matthew Nicholson

‘‘My Story Is My Activism!’’: (Re-)Definitions of Social Justice Activism Among Collegiate Athlete Activists

Yannick Kluch

United We Stand, Divided We Kneel: Examining Perceptions of the NFL Anthem Protest on Organizational Reputation

Shaun M. Anderson

Incorporating the Protests: The NFL, Social Justice, and the Constrained Activism of the ‘‘Inspire Change’’ Campaign

Adam Rugg

Separating Perceptions of Kaepernick From Perceptions of His Protest: An Analysis of Athlete Activism, Endorsed Brand, and Media Effects

Bumsoo Park, Sanghyun Park, and Andrew C. Billings

State Control and the Online Contestation of Iranian Female Spectators and Activists

Shahrzad Mohammadi

Muslim Sportswomen as Digital Space Invaders: Hashtag Politics and Everyday Visibilities

Nida Ahmad and Holly Thorpe

‘‘This Isn’t Just About Us’’: Articulations of Feminism in Media Narratives of Athlete Activism

Cheryl Cooky and Dunja Antunovic