[Commlist] CfP: Looking back, looking forward: Digital ethnography in 2020

Tue Mar 03 13:21:36 GMT 2020

I am delighted to share with you the below call for papers for a one-day symposium titled ‘Looking back, looking forward: Digital ethnography in 2020’ organised by the /LSE Digital Ethnography Collective/.

*When:*Monday 26th October

*Where:*London School of Economics (LSE)

*Submission deadline:*Friday 29th May

***

Digital ethnography is by no means a new methodology. In the 1990s researchers begun grappling with issues regarding the cultural impacts of the Internet and how to go about conducting ethnographic research in/on ‘virtual’ spaces. Since then, we have seen significant technological and cultural shifts, most notably the fact that in 2020 smartphones are commonplace and social media platforms have become a ubiquitous part of everyday life in many parts of the world. Whilst holding on to the valuable insights of earlier research, digital ethnographers are required to remain methodologically agile in order to keep up with rapidly changing socio-technological contexts. This one-day symposium hosted by the LSE Digital Ethnography Collective invites participants to discuss the state of digital ethnographic research in 2020, by both reaching back into its rich history and thinking about future directions. We are inviting submissions spanning from ‘finished product’ empirical work to presentations addressing common concerns in the practise of carrying out digital ethnographic research (methods, ethics, self-reflexivity etc.) in the hopes that the day will generate both interesting and useful conversations amongst attendees.

The LSE Digital Ethnography Collective is an interdisciplinary group exploring the intersections of digital culture and ethnographic methods, with the aim to establish a global community of scholars of digital ethnography and to work through challenges in this growing subdiscipline. Researchers passionate about digital ethnography are dispersed around the globe, and whilst we foster international collaboration via our livestreams and mailing list, it’s always a pleasure to get together IRL! With this in mind, we are hosting this symposium at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) on Monday 26th October 2020. There is a particularly sizeable overlap of membership between the /LSE Digital Ethnography Collective/ and the /Association of Internet Researchers/ and so we have arranged this as a *‘satellite event’ to the AoIR Annual Conference*. We concluded that many of the members of the MECCSA list might also be interested, so we have decided that participants do not have to be attending AoIR to submit to this event.

The symposium welcomes digital ethnographers at all levels from PhD upwards to submit proposals for 20-minute presentations relating to any of the following areas (this is a non-exhaustive list):

  *   bridging the old and the new: innovative but historically-grounded approaches to digital ethnographic methodologies

   *   digital culture and everyday life

  *   empirical work relating to the Internet/platforms/social media/gaming cultures

  *   digital transformations in work and labour – the gig economy, creative industries, datafication, algorithms etc.

   *   critical intersectional feminist ethnography in digital contexts

  *   approaches from the Global South that challenge Western-centric digital ethnographic research

  *   self-reflexive accounts of challenges and opportunities in digital ethnographic research

  *   inside/outside: entering and exiting the digital ‘field’, navigating or moving beyond the online/offline binary, accessing private online spaces, local/global and the role of geography in digital ethnography, etc.

   *   conducting ethical digital ethnographic research

Please send proposals of 300 words (word document or PDF) (toMedia.DigEthnog /at/ lse.ac.uk) <mailto:(Media.DigEthnog /at/ lse.ac.uk)> by 29th May 2020. This deadline is designed to be after the notification of acceptances for presenters to AoIR, so that applicants will be know if they are going to Dublin beforehand. Selected participants will be notified by 1st June 2020. The event will be open to non-presenting attendees after June 1^st . Please note that, while the symposium is free to attend, we cannot provide funding for travel or accommodation.