Archive for April 2020

[Commlist] Call for work: First Annual Small File Media Festival

Thu Apr 23 22:45:54 GMT 2020

Call for work: *First Annual Small File Media Festival *

/Submission Deadline: May 30, 2020 /

What do cat videos, facial recognition and porn all have in common? You can find them at the first annual Small File Media Festival!

The coronavirus pandemic is showing us how dependent people are on streaming media. *Streaming media currently is responsible for over 1% of our global carbon footprint* and rising fast.

Use your artistic voice to contribute to climate change action and cool down the planet. We’re going to make HD, 4K, and 5G look unnecessary, unsexy, and so last decade. Small file videos are intellectual, innovative, attractive, creative, and fun. We encourage you to explore experimental processes through low-energy technologies and deconstruct the fetishization of the pristine image.

If we can get together physically, the Small File Media Festival will be held August 10-12 in the beautiful cinema at Simon Fraser University in glorious Vancouver, Canada, and streamed in curated programs of tiny files. Selected works will be screened live and receive a rental fee. We will be featuring an “obsolete” media viewing platform for submissions with alternative technologies, and an anti-facial-recognition fashion show and workshops alongside the festival. Additionally, all accepted works will have the option of being curated and streamed online through energy conscious means.

If we can’t get together physically, we’ll festively stream curated programs of tiny files.

*Come join us and celebrate the beauty of the small file!*

Submit through (info /at/ smallfile.ca) <mailto:(info /at/ smallfile.ca)> or visit us at smallfile.ca <http://smallfile.ca>.

You can also copy your movie onto a USB and mail it to us. Great for groups! We will return your USB. Send to Small File Media Festival, SFU School for the Contemporary Arts, 149 W. Hastings St., Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4, Canada

*Guidelines: *

File size restricted to 5 megabytes of fun!
Size to aim for: *1 megabyte per minute *

Length: *1-5 minutes
*Please record and submit *processing/encoding time *

Looping media welcomed

page1image15560

*Categories: *

Aesthetic Invention
Supersmall files (how low can you go!)

Narrative
Documentary
Porn
Sports
Cat videos
Animation
GIFs
‘Obsolete’ technologies
Pre- and post-apocalyptic media

Cross-platform works /(one version for live screening, another for streaming. Please include one minute excerpt of the live work) /

Anything Imaginable! //

For tips on making small files, visit smallfile.ca <http://smallfile.ca>