Archive for April 2020

[Commlist] Perception at the End of the World, or How Not to Play Video Games: out now, open access

Wed Apr 15 08:26:03 GMT 2020

Not without some degree of apprehension, I thought I’d share this project titled /Perception at the End of the World, or How Not to Play Video Games/, which has just come out in the Flugschriften series. Engaging with post-apocalyptic landscapes, image-making and ways in which we see the world, it’s something I’ve been working on for a while now, but its publication has coincided with the current set of events. It takes the form of an artbook-style pamphlet containing an essay and a series of images, and features design by the brilliant Felipe Mancheno.

/“Both embracing and eliding the experience of mediation, [video game environments stage] worldliness for us as a mobile task to explore and engage with, with our eyes, hands, brains, and bodies all participating in seeing and/as doing… Life can thus also be redescribed as an ongoing process of navigating between cinema and photography, with image-making becoming a mode of world-making, for gamers and non-gamers alike.” /(Joanna Zylinska, from /Perception at the End of the World/)

The pamphlet can be downloaded from here:

https://flugschriften.com/2020/04/10/perception-at-the-end-of-the-world-by-joanna-zylinska/

Edited by Dominic Pettman (New School) and Carla Nappi (Pittsburgh), /Flugschriften /rekindles the long tradition of 16th-century pamphlets – or ‘flying writings’ – giving heterodox, experimental, challenging writings a pair of wings with which to find like-minded readers. /Flugschriften /publishes short, sharp shocks to the system – whether this be the political system, literary system, academic system, or human nervous system.

Other titles in the series include Vilém Flusser on The Holy See, Steven Shaviro on Tierra Whack, and the collectively edited Dispatches from the Institute of Incoherent Geography.

More at: https://flugschriften.com/