Archive for March 2020

[Commlist] PhD opportunity Portsmouth Universtiy and the Science Museum

Wed Mar 25 21:49:53 GMT 2020

Applications are invited for a fully-funded AHRC Collaborative PhD in Partnership with the Science Museum London to commence in October 2020.

The PhD will be based in the School of Art, Design and Performance <https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/structure-and-governance/organisational-structure/our-academic-structure/faculty-of-creative-and-cultural-industries/school-of-art-design-and-performance>, and will be supervised by Professor Deborah Sugg Ryan <https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/structure-and-governance/our-people/our-staff/deborah-sugg-ryan> (Professor of Design History and Theory), Dr Laurel Forster <https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/structure-and-governance/our-people/our-staff/laurel-forster> (Reader in Cultural History), Dr Helen Peavitt (Curator of Consumer and Environmental Technology, Science Museum) and Nick Wyatt (Head of Libraries and Archives, Science Museum).

The project has been awarded an AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnership <https://www.ahrc-cdp.org/> (CDP) by the Science Museums and Archives Consortium (SMAC).

This studentship is funded for 3 years and 9 months (45 months) full time or part-time equivalent. The studentship has the possibility of being extended for 3 months to more provide professional development opportunities, or up to 3 months of funding be used to pay for the costs the student might incur in taking up professional development opportunities.

CDP students are expected to spend at least 3 to 6 months during their funded time or part-time equivalent on professional development. This can include appropriate placements, work experiences, and attending training courses. The use of this time will need to be agreed by the student with by co-supervisors to best support the individual student’s training requirements and professional development.

The student will need to submit their thesis within four years (48 months) of starting their studies, if studying full time. The successful candidate will receive a bursary to cover tuition fees and up to four years of maintenance stipend at the AHRC UK/EU rate for collaborative awards in (£16,885 for 2020/2021 per annum). The award is available full-time or on a part-time basis at 50% time.

For more details see:

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/postgraduate-research/research-degrees/phd/explore-our-projects/eye-appeal-is-buy-appeal

Please contact Prof Deborah Sugg Ryan ((deborah.suggryan /at/ port.ac.uk) <mailto:(deborah.suggryan /at/ port.ac.uk)>) who can give you full details of the project and discuss your interest.