Archive for March 2020

[Commlist] Conference 2020 Loathing - Call for Papers

Mon Mar 09 21:21:01 GMT 2020

We are delighted to announce the Call for Papers for our annual PhD conference at the Department of Digital Humanities at King’s College London themed:

/_2020 LOATHING: DIGITAL TENSIONS, FRAGMENTATIONS AND POLARISATIONS_/

Date: 29th May 2020

Location: Bush House, King’s College London, London

Confirmed Speakers:

*Fernanda Bruno*,Associate professor at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. CNPq Researcher. Director of the MediaLab.UFRJ.

***Jennifer Pybus*, Lecturer in Digital Culture and Society, King's College London.

This conference invites emerging scholars to productively explore the digital tensions which mark our contemporary lives, as any techno-optimism of the early digital age has given way to what we hypothesise as data-driven loathing. We invite a critical focus on these contradictory forces, wherein, for example, the promises of personalisation have led to the fragmentation of audiences and polarisation of politics; or, wherein digital distributed networks seem to have empowered platform enterprises like GAFA as much as new forms of bottom-up participation. How can we address the data granularity of our lives, not only across socio-cultural and political-economic processes, but in a new mediation and apprehension of our urban and environmental surroundings? Overall, we are interested in work that recognises the deep affect of our digital lives in a way that provokes both joy and possibility as well as anxiety and enervation.

We invite contributions in the following areas:

·Digital commons, data commons versus platform capitalism

·Digital tools, platforms: what is enabled and/or constrained

·Mediation and the (in)visibility of data

·Diffusion of algorithmic power in smart objects and automated decision-making systems

·The interplay between profiling and surveillance

·Critical and theoretical approaches to understanding tension, fragmentation and polarisation

*Submission*: 250 words abstract with a short academic bio sent to (2020Loathing /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(2020Loathing /at/ gmail.com)>. The required format is a Word document (.doc or .docx) saved as “SURNAME_2020L”.

*Abstract Submission Deadline*: 27^th March 2020

*Notification of Acceptance*: 17^th April 2020

*Conference Date*: 29^th May 2020

*Conference Location*: Bush House, King’s College London, London

*E-mail*: (2020Loathing /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(2020Loathing /at/ gmail.com)>for any questions about submissions or the conference

Please see more information on our website.
newperspectivesdh.com