Archive for January 2020

[Commlist] CFP visual representation and marginality

Fri Jan 17 13:36:14 GMT 2020

ICA 2020 Pre-Conference “VISUAL REPRESENTATION AND MARGINALITY”

May 21, 2020, Gold Coast, Australia

Deadline for abstract submissions: 1 February

The ICA Visual Communication Studies Division is organizing a pre-conference on May 21, 2020, in Gold Coast, Australia, on “VISUAL REPRESENTATION AND MARGINALITY,” which will be headlined by ICA Fellow Barbie Zelizer. She will present a keynote on invisibility and the news.

The pre-conference is being supported by the QUT Digital Media Research Centre as principal sponsor with additional support and sponsorships by the following ICA Divisions and Interest Groups:

• The LGBTQ Studies Interest Group

• The Activism, Communication and Social Justice Interest Group

• The Ethnicity and Race in Communication Division

Thanks to the generosity of these sponsors, we’re able to host this pre-conference without a registration fee for participants.

We’ve also teamed up with our colleagues at Visual Communication Quarterly to publish a special issue on our pre-conference theme, “Visual Representation and Marginality,” guest edited by VCS Division Vice Chair Mary Angela Bock, that is slated for issue 27.4 (December 2020) of the journal. Also included in the special issue will be a curated selection of relevant images from the Pictures of the Year and/or College Photographer of the Year Archives selected by the directors of those programs.

Extended abstracts of no more than 1,000 words are due by 1 February 2020, and limited spaces are available. Additional details and a submission form are available via this Google Form: https://forms.gle/cXefFTQuvBe8fBDH9

We're planning to have an even mix of junior and senior scholars present and each group's submissions will be assessed separately to ensure an even playing field and to ensure our emerging scholars can learn from more senior ones and vice versa.

Please contact pre-conference organizer, T.J. Thomson ((tj.thomson /at/ qut.edu.au)), with any questions.