Archive for January 2020

[Commlist] DiGRA 2020 Workshop ‘Playing with National Game Histories’

Tue Jan 14 23:48:56 GMT 2020

*** Workshop on ‘Playing with National Game Histories’ at DiGRA 2020 ***

We’d like to invite you to “Playing with National Game Histories: A ‘Making Data Playable’ Workshop”, collaboratively organized by René Glas, Jasper van Vught, Stefan Werning (all Utrecht University), Annakaisa Kultima (Aalto University), and Jaakko Suominen (University of Turku), which takes place at DiGRA 2020, on 2 June 2020, in Tampere, Finland.

The goal of the workshop is to explore the role game co-creation can play in studying and harnessing the integrative potential of national game histories. We will a) use the Discursive Game Design (DGD) to facilitate playful engagement with historical datasets, b) discuss the epistemology and ongoing relevance of national game cultures on the basis of sample datasets, and c) explore how playing with national game histories can constitute alternative sites for transnational identity politics.

For that purpose, we practically implement the DGD methodology (outlined first in a DiGRA2019 panel on teaching game studies) and adopt a more comparative perspective on national game canons. Moreover, we are looking to extend our existing network of scholars and institutions involved in game culture, historiography and practice-based game research to prepare an (EU) application on re-claiming national game histories as an alternative site for cultural identity formation.

Are you interested in applying game co-creation as a heuristic for academic research and teaching? And/or do you want to explore the ‘work’ that game histories can ‘do’ in contemporary society and culture? If so, to participate, please submit a short motivational statement (approx. 200 words) indicating your specific interests as well as your own professional background and personal game-historical experiences to (s.werning /at/ uu.nl) until 10th February 2020. Participants will be notified of their acceptance by 18th February.

For more details, please find the full workshop description, incl. a tentative schedule as well as a short bibliography at https://gamesandplay.nl/playing-with-national-game-histories-digra-2020-workshop/.