[Commlist] job posting: Scholar-In-Residence in Media Studies, CU Boulder

Sat Mar 23 06:49:42 GMT 2019

*Scholar-In-Residence in Media Studies*

The Department of Media Studies (MDST) in the College of Media, Communication and Information at the University of Colorado Boulder seeks a scholar-in-residence in media studies with a particular emphasis in critical environmental studies. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in research and a commitment to contributing to our interdisciplinary undergraduate and graduate programs. The position is expected to begin in August 2019.

We will consider applicants with various research interests in critical media studies, although preference will be given to the following areas:

+ The material and ethical implications of media practice/technology/consumption forenvironmental sustainability.

+The role of digital culture, emergent media forms, art and design in shaping current debates about the ecological crisis and disaster relief.

+Relationship between intersectionality (race, gender, class, sexuality, etc.) and ecomedia research.

A PhD in Media Studies is required; a terminal degree (JD or MFA) in another discipline will also be considered. Qualified candidates will have an active research agenda, a proven record of teaching excellence, and a strong commitment to interdisciplinary collaborations. The selected candidate will teach two courses each semester in a variety of media-related topics with a possibility to develop a course in the candidate’s own area of research expertise.

The Department of Media Studies at the University of Colorado Boulder offers a dynamic program of study that emphasizes the creative and analytical skills needed to operate in a complex media environment and to gain a deep understanding of the history and development of various means and forms of communication. We teach courses in media history; media activism; globalization and culture; Postcolonialism and decoloniality; media and religion; disruptive media entrepreneurship; media and human rights; popular culture, gender, race, class, and sexuality; media and food politics; audience studies, among many others. We offer an exciting Master’s degree in Media and Public Engagement and a well-ranked PhD program in media studies which celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2019.

The College of Media Communication and Information, established in 2015, is the first new college on the CU-Boulder campus in 53 years. CMCI prides itself on offering students an interdisciplinary education with a focus on innovation and creativity. The College prepares students to be leaders in our ever-changing information society. Our students and faculty think across boundaries, innovate around emerging problems and create culture that transcends convention. CMCI strives to be a community whose excellence is premised on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek candidates who share this commitment and demonstrate understanding of the experiences of those historically underrepresented in higher education. We welcome applications from racial and ethnic minorities, ciswomen, non-normative genders and sexualities, persons with disabilities, and others who have encountered legacies of marginalization.

**

The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse workforce. Benefits include domestic partners and health insurance coverage for hormone replacement therapy (for more, see http://www.colorado.edu/ glbtqrc/resources/cu-and-state-policies). Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at (hr-ADA /at/ colorado.edu) <mailto:(hr-ADA /at/ colorado.edu)>.

**

*Special Instructions to Applicants:*

Candidates must submit the following:

1.Cover letter outlining interest in the position and research and teaching interests

2.Curriculum Vitae

3.Statement of Teaching Philosophy

4.An example of scholarly and/or creative work.

5.Three letters of reference

Screening of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all materials by April 10, 2019.

Application page: https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=16540

<http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5165-8871>