Archive for January 2019

[Commlist] Two Positions in Digital Cultures at the University of Sydney

Wed Jan 16 09:23:00 GMT 2019

The School of Languages, Arts and Media are advertising for two new positions (Lecturer B/Assistant Professor in the Digital Cultures Program at the University of Sydney. We’re looking for researchers/scholars interested in the social, cultural, and design aspects of emerging technologies such as AI, data, automation, robotics, smart technologies, and Blockchain. Applications are due very soon - 20 January 2019.

Position 1: Lecturer in Digital Cultures (Continuing)
Reference no. 2479/1218C - sydney.edu.au/recruitment

Position 2: Lecturer in Digital Cultures (Fixed Term)
Reference no. 2481/1218F - sydney.edu.au/recruitment

Exciting opportunity for a research-active scholar with expertise in teaching digital cultures. Join a dynamic, engaged group of academics in a leading centre for teaching and research on communication and media Full-time, Continuing role, Level B, Salary from $104K to $123K p.a. in addition to leaving loading and %17 superannuation.

School of Literature, Art & Media
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

*About the opportunity***

Founded in 2000, and based in The School of Literature, Art and Media , The Department of Media and Communications (MECO) is a leading centre for teaching, research, and public engagement in many areas, including transformations in communication and media, journalism studies, digital cultures and technologies, culture and media, communication and media policy, public, corporate and political communication, health communication, media history, screen studies, and media and politics. Digital Cultures has emerging strengths in researching AR, VR, games, smart homes, robotics and AI.

MECO has established itself as an outstanding, collegial environment for innovative research with interdisciplinary links with a broad range of researchers. We make internationally significant contributions to understandings of media, communication, and digital cultures, which are now central to our social, economic, political, and cultural arrangements. We also have a strong track record of research collaborations and external grant success, in addition to excellent media production facilities, including television and radio studios, and support from a Digital Media Unit.

This exciting new post has been specifically created to build capacity in the strategic research theme area of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS), represented by its new STuF Lab (Socio-Technical Futures Lab). Directed by Professors Heather Horst and Gerard Goggin, the StuF Lab is an interdisciplinary research hub, based in FASS, for supporting cutting-edge work on the social, cultural, and design aspects of emerging technologies such as AI, data, automation, robotics, smart technologies, and Blockchain.

*About you*

The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values. Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Media and Communications, the Lecturer in Digital Cultures will be required to:

  * teach and develop curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduate
    courses in digital cultures, and related areas of communication and
    media
  * undertake research on socio-technical futures, in key areas such as
    AI, data automation, robotics, and connected homes, cities, and
    mobilities, Blockchain and other sociotechnical systems
  * publish regularly in top ranked journals and outlets, and secure
    research grants
  * attract and supervise higher degree research students as well as
    honours and masters dissertation students
  * create innovative interdisciplinary collaborations within the
    University and with external stakeholders
  * engage with the digital media and communications industry,
    professions, and interested publics
  * contribute to academic governance and leadership

The successful candidate will have an excellent track record in researching and teaching the social and cultural aspects of digital technologies strongly aligned with the Department and Faculty priority theme.

*About us*

You will join a vibrant and collegial department with excellent teaching and research resources. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world leaders in the field at such centres as the The Centre for Robotics and Intelligent Systems, the Smart Urbanism Lab, the Centre for Translational Data, Sydney Democracy Network, Charles Perkins Centre, Government and International Relations, and International Security Studies as well as the Sydney Southeast Asia Centre, and China Studies Centre, along with faculty-based researchers across a range of disciplines.

Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.

We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

Intending applicants are welcome to seek further information about the position from Associate Professor Timothy Dwyer on +61 2 9036 5058 (ortimothy.dwyer /at/ sydney.edu.au) <mailto:(timothy.dwyer /at/ sydney.edu.au)>.

For recruitment-related enquiries, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Mohammed Abu Naser on 02 8627 1215 (ormohammed.abunaser /at/ sydney.edu.au) <mailto:(mohammed.abunaser /at/ sydney.edu.au)>

Please refer to the candidate information pack for further details.

*Closing date: 20 January 2019, 11:30pm Sydney Time**

*Important Note: The University of Sydney is closed for the Christmas and New Year period from 4pm on Friday 21 December 2018 and all staff are on leave until the University reopens on Tuesday 8 January 2019.

The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.