Archive for November 2018

[ecrea] Applications LSE Media and Communications PhD Programmes

Mon Nov 12 14:21:35 GMT 2018

The Department of Media and Communications at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) invites excellent researchers to apply for its MPhil/PhD programmes in Media and Communications; and Data, Networks and Society.

Established in 2003, the Department of Media and Communications is a world-leading centre for education and research in communication and media studies at the heart of LSE’s academic community in central London. We are ranked #1 in the UK and #3 globally in our field in the 2018 QS World University Rankings, and the Department was rated #1 in the most recent UK-wide HEI research evaluation (REF2014) with 91% of research outputs ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.

Doctoral researchers benefit from our Department’s rigorous training in research methods and media and communications theories and will join a dynamic Departmental research culture which is active in global as well as national debates. We are an interdisciplinary collective of researchers conducting critical, empirical and engaged social science research in relation to media, communication and culture. Through our research we aim to provide a deep understanding of the changes in the media and communications environment as these shape, and are shaped by, complex socio-technical, political-economic, cultural and historical developments.

We accept a broad range of topics and encourage innovative proposals exploring important questions for our age. We particularly welcome projects that focus on the relationship, the impact or the role of media and/or communication, as well as culture and discourse, in relation to questions of inequality, legitimacy, privacy-publicness, voice, activism, representation, cultural critique, children/youth, media literacy, audiences and urban contexts. We are, however, also keen to explore emerging fields and topics beyond this.

There are 2 application deadlines – 7 January and 26 April 2019 – in order to allow those who have already graduated to apply earlier, whilst those currently undertaking a master’s degree are able to apply to the later deadline. All offer holders will automatically be considered for an LSE scholarship and/or an ESRC grant (if they are a UK/EU resident), both of which offer generous support. LSE offers 63 PhD scholarships across the school. LSE scholarship holders’ fees are waived and researchers receive an annual stipend of £18,000 for four years. In addition, LSE also allocates Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) grants annually.

Potential applicants are encouraged to visit the following webpage for further information, including research proposal guidelines and instructions for how to apply: https://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-communications/study/secure/phd-programmes.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us on: (_Media.Communications.Phd /at/ lse.ac.uk) <mailto:(Media.Communications.Phd /at/ lse.ac.uk)>. _