Archive for June 2018

[ecrea] CfP Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics on "The Ethical Grounding and Instructional Value of Storytelling"

Tue Jun 19 01:26:26 GMT 2018

CfP for the Special Issue of the /Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics/ (http://www.ucm.es/siim/journal-of-comparative-literature-and-aesthetics) edited by Dr Xiana Sotelo.

Theme: "The Ethical Grounding and Instructional Value of Storytelling".

*Deadline for the submission of abstracts: 1st of July (email to: (x.sotelo /at/ ufv.es)).*

The universal value of storytelling as a form of teaching ethics and moral values is one of the noblest endeavors of any narrative process. Indeed, human values such as generosity, solidarity and common good have always been (un) consciously transmitted in stories (Bell, L., 2010; Brookfield, 1997). Looking at 21st century global scenarios, nevertheless, from a humanistic point of view, one cannot help but wonder how effective the instructional value of storytelling has been or can be in order to transmit the core values that would have prevented the 2008-2010 financial breakdowns, climate change natural disasters, mass migrations, refugee crisis, ISIS terrorism and endless daily examples of contemporary events which represent stories that put our humanity into question. As Otto Scharmer and Katrin Kaufer highlight in Leading from an Emerging Future- from Ego Systems to Eco systems, current narratives indicate that “we have entered an age of disruption” where things are fallen apart at a global scale. Forms of “organized irresponsibility” operate through a collective consent that turns a blind eye to massive injustices and inequalities (2013: 1). The swift from “ego systems to eco-relational patterns of behavior” holds the key to the possibility of global disruptions being transformed into instances of “(inter) connectivity and empathy” (5). Highlighting the transformative power of art and culture and the need to be integrated into the fabric of society, in this volume we would like to explore the role that Humanities are playing nowadays to collectively unearth the deep connection between global crisis and crisis of values. Advocating for creativity, innovation and critical thinking to foster new ways of understanding divergent thinking in the Humanities, strategic narratives will be explored as the necessary awareness to heal disruptions. In these stories I becomes you; and me becomes we. Acknowledging multiplicity and complexity as part of we, the research welcomes papers on literary and inter-artistic representations and hybrid expressions of storytelling. The final aim is to bring together a diverse cross-section of vibrant, arts-infused theories of belonging and community; theories that celebrate the importance of storytelling for a positive social change. Thus, the volume celebrates the potential of literary and artistic representations to instruct human values while interrogating the role of Humanities, in general, and Comparative Literature and Aesthetics, in particular, in articulating effective multimodal narratives that would expand tellability through unfolding emotional frames. Considering communication and meaning as core definitions of storytelling, we celebrate the value of storytelling as a tool for critical thinking and discussion, analyzing different types of storytelling as forms of discursive frames which give meaning to human interactions (Barthes, 1993) With an emphasis on the performative dimension of storytelling to promote positive social impact, we invite case-based multimodal, intermedial and transmedial explorations of stories as transformative narratives in popular culture (Lundby 2008) and in self- representation (Tlumin and Gunn 2012); as much as narratives which function as mediating and intercultural mechanism giving voice and empowering marginal collectives.

We welcome original papers on any of the following research lies:

- Instructional value of Storytelling - Transformative power of art and culture - Creativity and artistic forms as promotors of humanistic values - Performative dimension of storytelling - Inter-artistic representations and civic engagement - Swift from ego systems to eco-relational patterns of behavior
- Connectivity and empathy through storytelling
- Critical thinking skills
- Emotions and social responsibility
- Relationship between critical thinking and artistic creation
- Art pedagogy enquiry+ service-learning

*Proposals (500 words)* should be sent to the guest editor Dr Xiana Sotelo at the email address: *(x.sotelo /at/ ufv.es) * Deadline for submissions: *1 July 2018*. Acceptance will be communicated soon after. Full articles, which should follow JCLA guidelines (please, consult the website), should reach the guest editor by *30 September 2018*

Feel free to recirculate the CfP to whoever might be interested in contributing.

Bibliography
Barthes, R. (1993) Mythologies. London: Vintage
Bell, L. A. (2010) Storytelling for Social Justice: Connecting Narratives and the Arts in Antiracist Teaching. New York. Routledge. Brookfield, S. D (1997) Developing Critical Thinkers. Mylon Keynes: Open university Press.
Campell, J & Moyer (1988) The Power of Myth. New York: Doubleday.
Thumim, Nancy and Sara Gunn (2012) “Socializing and Self-Representation online: Exploring Facebook” in Observatorio (OBS*) Journal, vol.6 - nº1, 087-105 Lundby, Knut. (2008) “Mediatized stories: Mediation Perspectives on Digital Storytelling” in New Media & Society. Sage Publications. Scharmer, Otto and Katrin Kaufer. (2013) Leading from an Emerging Future- from Ego Systems to Eco systems. Okland, Ca: Berret- Khohler Publishers, Inc.