Archive for June 2018

[ecrea] 2018 Documentary Summer School

Fri Jun 15 18:11:34 GMT 2018

Deadline Approaching: 2018 Documentary Summer School at Locarno Film Festival

“Representations that build bridges, representations that divide”

06.08-10.08,2018, Locarno, Switzerland

Submission Deadline: 30.06.2018 (for applicants who do not need a visa)

Summer School Description:

http://www.imeg.com.usi.ch/en/summer-school?

Conditions of participation:

The Documentary Summer School is open to up to 30 undergraduate students in the fields of film, media and communication studies. Graduate students, early PhD students and emerging filmmakers are also welcome to apply. We have already closed the international applications who need visa to travel to Europe (May.31), but for students who do not need a visa, you still have two weeks to apply to join our program.

The participation fee is of 550 CHF and it covers:

—Lectures and meetings (Monday 6-Friday 10 August 2018)

—Bed and breakfast accommodation for 7 nights at the Locarno Youth Hostel (Sunday 5-Sunday 12 August 2018)

—Accreditation valid for all Festival screenings

—Closing dinner with participants from all the Summer Academy programs

Meals other than breakfast and travel to and from the Festival are at the expense of participants. Please note that the Festival provides participants with a shuttle service free of charge between Milano Malpensa airport and Locarno, prior booking.

Submissions:

Candidates shall submit via email to (documentarysummerschool /at/ gmail.com)<mailto:(documentarysummerschool /at/ gmail.com)> the following documents:

—Personal CV

—Brief motivation letter

—Passport-size digital photo (max 1MB)

Submitted dossiers will be evaluated by the scientific board, and selected participants will be notified via email within two weeks after the deadlines for submission.

Faculty:

Maria Cristina Lasagni is professor of Cinema and Documentary at the Università della Svizzera italiana, and Scientific Director of the Documentary Summer School (with Prof. Gabriele Balbi). She has directed scientific researches for Universities and Institutions, such as the Italian public broadcaster RAI, the Italian Authority for Communications, and for the Swiss Federal Office of Communications UFCOM. She has been content editor for the educational channel TVLTV-Language (digital TV Stream, now Sky).

Andrea Segre is an award-winner Italian filmmaker who has directed over twenty films of documentary and fiction genre. In his films, Andrea has explored issues such as ethnic and cultural identity, migration, social and economic crisis. His first feature film

Gilles Kepel is a French Political Scientist and Arabist, has specialized in the contemporary Middle East and Muslims in the West. He is the Scientific Director of the Middle East Mediterranean Freethinking Platform. He is also the Director of the Middle East and Mediterranean Chair at PSL Paris Sciences et Lettres Research University, based at École Normale Supérieure.

John Izod is Emeritus Professor of Screen Analysis in Communications, Media and Culture at the University of Stirling, and also a shamanic practitioner. He was formerly Head of Department and Dean of the Faculty of Arts.

Nevina Satta is the CEO of the Sardegna Film Commission, the Vice-President of the Italian Film Commission Association (IFC), and a board member of Cineregio, the EU network of Regional Film Funds.

Contents:

Images are everywhere, and the "insatiability of the photographing eye" (Sontang,S. 1977) has profoundly altered our relationship with the world.

This 18th Documentary Summer School will reflect upon the role of images and stories in shaping our opinion of people and issues we do not experience directly, and affecting our imaginary.

Day after day we are storing in our minds - most of the time unconsciously - millions of images and stories. What role do these images and stories play in creating our imaginary of "the others", especially when we have few or no direct relationship with these "others"? The respectful coexistence between people different in culture, sexual choices, origin, religion is becoming a issue of crucial importance in many countries.

Are there ways to communicate that can reduce fear, distrust, rejection? What kind of audiovisual representations - such as documentaries, reportages - could build bridges among people, and what other kinds are at risk of dividing people?

Based on this, the 2018 DSS will address a central area of reflection: the narrative choices filmakers make to represent those "others" who are perceived as different from us, for some reasons.

How does the spectacle of the sufferings of others in the media affect us? Can those pictures make us more engaged with the pain of others? What kind of representation can build bridges between us and those we perceived as "others"?

Analyzing film clips through the contribution of scholars and filmmakers, the 2018 DSS will discuss the ethics of documentary filmmaking, the eventual ethics guidelines used by filmmakers from all around the world and how these guidelines helped them keeping up with the challenges posed by the new media landscape.

Further enquiries to:

Dr. Zhan Zhang: (documentarysummerschool /at/ gmail.com)<mailto:(documentarysummerschool /at/ gmail.com)>

Documentary Summer School – Organizing committee

Università della Svizzera italiana

via Buffi 13, 6900 Lugano