Archive for February 2018

[ecrea] CfP Journalism-Communication Education Conference

Fri Feb 23 08:02:51 GMT 2018

REMINDER! (Deadline March, 19, 2018)

Call for Abstracts
ECREA Journalism & Communication Education TWG Conference 2018 “Trial and Error II”
Innovation and trends
between the classroom and the company UNIVERSIDADE DO MINHO
10-11 May 2018 Braga, Portugal

This is a gentle reminder for the call for abstracts for the next installment of the Journalism & Education Education Conference "Trial & Error II". After a great conference in Tilburg, Netherlands, last May, we will meet in Braga, Portugal, May 10-11, 2018, for presentations, discussions, and workshops concerning education for media professions in a changing media world. The shifting communicative
environment asks for experimentation in media, aiming at new narratives,
tools
and a new connection with the audience. At the same time, universities
must
adapt to the new multimedia and digital reality by becoming a place of
training
which is also, and more than ever, linked to experimentation and
innovation.
In this new communicative
environment, a re-evaluation of communication education is required
since it
must seek to meet the digital demands of the news media professions.
What can
we learn from these changes and how do we study them? What challenges
and
answers can be provided from the classroom to the company and back?

Contributions may be
theoretical, methodological or empirical in nature and can touch upon,
but not
restricted to, the following topics:

- New formative trends in the
classroom and innovative didactics
- Experiments in multimedia
narratives and tools
- New training profiles: Social
Media Manager, MOJO, Data journalist, Search Engine Optimization...
- Teaching new business models
- Training future media
professionals in social awareness, ethics and critical thinking
- Research methods and research
perspectives in education for media professions
- Applicability of research in the
classroom

Please note that we invite
contributions in various formats, e.g. workshops, panels and conference
presentations.

•Workshops sessions deal
in a practical way (‘hands on’) with current aspects of media education.
Proposals include a clearly defined workshop
topic and goal, and a number of questions or assignments (max. 500
words).

•Conference presentations involve
research results and/or theoretical work relevant to the conference
theme. Abstract (max. 500 words, not including references),outlining
the state of the study or research project, as well as the research
question(s)
or hypotheses, findings and conclusion(s). We also encourage submitting
work in
progress, e.g. new theoretical or methodological ideas you wish to
discuss with
peers at the conference.

•Panels consist of
various presentations addressing a common topic from different
perspectives.
Panels are scheduled for one hour, including discussions. Panel
proposals include a description of the topic and an overall panel goal,
addressing the
relevance of the topic to the conference theme (400 words), as well as a
short abstract
of each of the presentations (max. 200 words each).
True to the
interdisciplinary nature of this conference, we encourage contributors
combine education for various media professions (PR, journalism, media
management …) or to address the applicability/relevance of their topic
for
programs from different areas of media education.
New extended deadline: Monday, March 19, 2018.
Please submit abstracts at this
link of the official website
http://www.lasics.uminho.pt/trialanderror2018/call-for-abstracts/

The Conference is organized by
Centro de Estudos de Comunicação e Sociedade (CECS), with the
coordination of
Dra. Sandra Marinho ((marinho /at/ ics.uminho.pt)), and th
e ECREA Journalism
& Communication Education TWG management t((michael.harnischmacher /at/ uni-passau.de))
Harmen Groenhart (Vice
chair) / Fontys University of Applied Sciences / School of Journalism /
Tilburg, The Netherlands ((h.groenhart /at/ fontys.nl))
Pilar Sánchez-García (Vice chair) /
University of Valladolid / Faculty of Philosophy and Arts/ Valladolid,
Spain ((pilar.sanchez /at/ hmca.uva.es))