Archive for February 2018

[ecrea] CFP for Preconference on Audiences, Datafication and the Everyday at ECC Lugano

Wed Feb 07 16:29:47 GMT 2018

The Audience and Reception Studies Division of ECREA invites the submission of abstracts for its preconference - "Audiences, Datafication and the Everyday" at the 2018 ECC conference at Lugano.A variety of fields have started critically examining what van Dijck (2014) has termed dataism, and the logic and consequences of big data in contemporary societies. This preconference aims to critically assess the repertories and readiness of audience studies – from its long histories of empirical interest in everyday practices and literacies – to chart out a roadmap for the field in the specific contexts that datafication presents. What empirical ambitions shall we pursue at the intersections of datafication and everyday life? What methodological approaches shall we adopt? Extending Sonia Livingstone’s now classical 2004 question, we ask – What is the audience researcher to do in a datafied age?
Preconference Website: https://datafication2018.wordpress.com/