Archive for January 2017

[ecrea] CfP: International Conference on Islam, Media and Communication 2017

Sun Jan 29 12:45:23 GMT 2017

**“Muslim Identity, Media and Culture”**

The 2016 Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s candidacy and win fundamentally transformed the relationships between Muslim identity, media, and culture. Following Trump’s win, many wondered how polls, news, entertainment, mainstream and social media shape the Muslim cultural identity and their everyday life. Media discourses on Muslim identity and social integration often fuelled by an anti-Muslim political culture or the politics of anti-extremism. Because the media commonly set their agenda around these sociopolitical discourses, a large part of Islamic culture and everyday life of Muslims remain obscured. Moreover, there is a sense in which Muslims have, in some studies and reports, reduced to a function of their religion while other dimensions of their identity and experience have been ignored. Therefore, this conference seeks to answer such questions as:

  * How do media shape our understanding of Muslim identity and culture?
  * What role did/can media play in constructing/destructing Muslim
    identity and culture?
  * How do news, media, and entertainment outlets set their agenda and
    portray Muslims and Islamic culture?
  * What kinds of methodological approaches adopted by scholars to
    examine Muslim identity politics from various socioeconomic,
    religiopolitical, and cultural backdrops?
  * What kinds of media texts and pedagogical approaches can we use in
    the classroom to contextualise the development of Muslim identity
    surrounding such events as an election campaign, intellectual
    discourse on Islamophobia, global terrorism, and intercultural
    communication, while providing important spaces of discussion,
    conversation, and exchange?

Building on the questions, we invite academicians, media practitioners, policy-makers, and early career researchers to present their empirical research on the intersections of Muslim identity, media, and culture represented by, but not limited to:

  * Journalism
  * Social media
  * Media history
  * Media sociology
  * Social movements
  * Media management
  * Creative media labour
  * Political communication
  * Radio studies and practice
  * Religious authority and media
  * Media and communication policy
  * Film and television studies and practice
  * Approaches to media and communication pedagogy
  * Representation, identity, and ideology
  * Diasporic and ethnic minority media
  * Children, young people, and media
  * Intercultural communication
  * Aging, Disability, and media
  * Methodological approaches

*

*

*Abstract Submission:*

Abstract should include the following information:

  * *Author(s), institutional affiliation, and email address*
  * *Paper title*
  * *Abstract (of no more than 250 words)*

Abstract should be sent to: (icimac2017 /at/ usim.edu.my) <mailto:(icimac2017 /at/ usim.edu.my)>

<http:// (icimac2017 /at/ usim.edu.my) >

*Language:*

Only papers written in English and Bahasa Malaysia will be considered for publication.

*Publication:*

Selected papers will be published in SCOPUS/ISI indexed/refereed journals/book chapters' Special Issue on Muslim Identity, Media, and Culture.

Full papershould be between 6,000 - 8,000 words (including references).

*Registration Fees*:*

*Participants* 	*Registration Fees
*
  Local presenters 	MYR 600
  Local students	 MYR 300
  Local participants 	 MYR 300
  International Presenters** 	 USD 250
  International Students** 	 USD 100

*Registration fees for all presenters and participants include conference admission, conference set (conference booklet and materials), lunches and refreshments.

** Fees for international participants include on-campus accommodation.

*Important Dates: *

*Deadline for abstract submission:*
*Notification of acceptance:*
 From 29 May 2017
*Deadline for full paper submission: *

*Conference Venue:*

*Organised by:*

Communication and New Media Programmes

Faculty of Leadership and Management

Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia

71800, Nilai. Negeri Sembilan

MALAYSIA

For details, kindly visit:<http://icimac2017.usim.edu.my/>http://icimac2017.usim.edu.my/

or contact the Secretariat of the International Conference on Islam,Media and Communication 2017 at:

(icimac2017 /at/ usim.edu.my) <mailto:(icimac2017 /at/ usim.edu.my)> or (kareelawati /at/ usim.edu.my) <mailto:(kareelawati /at/ usim.edu.my)>

Look forward to meeting you in August 2017!!