Archive for January 2017

[ecrea] PhD Summer School - Urban Ethnography: Senses, Rhythms and Practices

Mon Jan 23 16:19:16 GMT 2017

PhD Summer School at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Urban Ethnography: Senses, Rhythms and Practices
22-26 August 2017

Join us in August 2017 in Hong Kong for an Urban Ethnography Summer School!

A city is more than the waves of verticals made of steel, concrete, and glass that form the architecture of our lives. Urban ethnography takes as its starting point the idea that it is the everyday human experience that defines the changing fabric of the city. Our Summer School will draw from the origins of a human-centered conception of urban space that contrasts with the economic mapping and political
planning of the cityscape. With our speakers and participants, we want
to position our observation of Hong Kong at “street-level” by following Certeau’s
invitation to observe the practices that write within the text of the city.
We will also borrow from the growing scholarship in visual anthropology
and sensory research the instruments to rethink our research in the city.
Together, we will ask ourselves: how should we make sense of the urban dimension of contemporary culture? How can we continue Baudelaire and Benjamin’s search to render their impressions of contemporary life in the city? What can the practice of urban ethnography tell us in the end of the effective production of space?

Together, we will explore new ways to analyze the city, make sense of the urban
experience and communicate our research. The program will include training,
workshops, fieldwork and public presentations.

We invite Hong Kong and International Ph.D. students from sociology and anthropology,
media and visual studies, art/design and architecture, urban planning
and policy-making, to inspire each other and receive guidance from leading scholars in urban studies and visual anthropology. A unique time and space to discover
Hong Kong and to carve a new lens for your research!

Confirmed Instructors

Dr. Anna GREENSPAN, Assistant Professor at New York University Shanghai
Dr. Anne JARRIGEON, Assistant Professor at the Paris School of Urbanism

Application Requirements
- Two-page presentation of their current research project including a description
   of their methodological issues and concerns;
- Two-page statement of their interest in urban ethnography and visual methods as well as a reflection on the role of the city in their life and personal
   experience;
- Updated Academic CV.

Important Deadlines

Closing of Applications: 15 APRIL 2017
Notification of Acceptance: 15 MAY 2017
Registration and Confirmation: 15 JULY 2017

Additional Information

- Participation in the Summer School is free of charge;
- Participants will be expected to cover the fees of their accommodation and
meals during the Summer School. (Recommendations will be provided by the organizers); - Certificates of attendance and participations will be given to those who require them
   in advance.

We accept your applications and inquiries at (hk /at/ urbanethno.net) <mailto:(hk /at/ urbanethno.net)>.
For more information please visit our website http://hk.urbanethno.net.

We are very much looking forward to your participation!

Sincerely,

Jan Karlach
Urban Ethnography Summer School main organizer, on behalf of all co-organizers

The Department of Applied Social Sciences
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University