Archive for January 2017

[ecrea] HOUSE-KEEPING message / important phishing warning

Thu Jan 12 14:10:04 GMT 2017

Dear colleagues,

Let me first wish all 8000 of you a happy new year.

Then, I also want to use this opportunity to warn you for a phishing email that is circulating, and that cloaks itself by pretending to originate from the commlist.

The "from" address fraudulently and incorrectly is "ecrea <(ecrea /at/ listserv.vub.ac.be)>", even though the email does NOT come from the emailing list. (It is a classic trick, and very easy to do.)

The subject is "[ecrea] Senior Lecturer in Digital Culture: Royal Holloway". The document has this hyperlinked text in the body: "Carpentier Nico doc". The link takes you to a website that is most likely hacked (http://panodrone.com).

You can easily tell that this email is fake, because hyperlinked messages are not allowed on the commlist, and they are not distributed. Links can be included, but they have to be in ascii (and not hyperlinked) and thus visible. This email still has an hyperlink in it.

I have no way of knowing whether who has received this phishing email, but if you have, I would strongly suggest not to click on the link, and to delete the message. If you have, please contact your ICT support centre (and take all necessary actions).

Nevertheless, a happy 2017,
Nico