[ecrea] CFP Northeast Media Literacy Conference

Fri Dec 23 00:49:57 GMT 2016

The Department of Communication at Central Connecticut State University

in conjunction with The National Association for Media Literacy Education (NAMLE), The Action Coalition for Media Education (ACME), and The Media Education Lab, present

*The 12th Northeast Media Literacy Conference*

*The Past, Present, and Future of Media Literacy Education*

*nmlc.comm.ccsu.edu <http://nmlc.comm.ccsu.edu/>*

*Date:* Saturday, February 4, 2017

*Time:* 8AM-6PM

*Location:* CCSU Student Center, 105 Ella Grasso Blvd, New Britain, CT 06053
*Fee:* Free for Students. $50 for anybody else.

*Registration:* Online Registration <https://goo.gl/forms/38Kut7CyupwUneJJ3>

*Target Audience: *Educators from K-16 including teachers, professors, librarians, community members, governmental officials, public agency leaders, health officials, and children's advocates.

*Call for Workshops, Papers, Presentations, and Students’ Showcase *

*Due January 9th 2017*

Central Connecticut State University is proud and delighted to announce the return of the Northeast Media Literacy Conference. Dr. Thomas Goodkind, Professor Emeritus, University of Connecticut founded the conference in 2003 supported by the Neag School of Education at UConn. The conference served as a vital source of community, advocacy, pedagogy, and innovation in the field of media literacy.

In the years since the founding of the conference the centrality of media to our individual, social, cultural and civic lives has grown exponentially. As media educators, we face constant changes in trends, platforms, tools and skills that challenge our approaches to our work in this field. We also face challenges from legislatures, school systems, corporations, and other institutions that question the value and/or relevance of media literacy to contemporary life and education. It seems both a necessary and fitting time for us to come together and explore the roots of our field and chart its future. Our aim in reviving the conference is to provide a forum for the practical, pedagogical, critical, and theoretical exploration of a guiding question: What does it mean to be media literate?

We have organized the conference into a series of presentations and discussions that encourage a rich exchange between participants who have much to teach one another and much to learn from one another. We aim to explore the connections among all members of the media literacy community. Our colleagues in the community play different roles: they are educators, researchers, and activists. Whether we identify with the disciplines of communication, educational technology, media studies, critical pedagogy, human development, public health, technology studies, digital pedagogy, youth media or civic engagement, we are all part of one family and community.

We welcome submissions that conform to one of four presentational approaches:

  * *Interactive Poster Session*
  * *Research Paper *
  * *Teaching Workshop *
  * *Students’ Showcase*

*Interactive Poster Session*. Students are encouraged to send a proposal of their practice or research in progress to be showcased as a poster presentation. The session will provide visibility and opportunity for the students to interact with experts in the field and receive feedback on their work and trajectory.

*Research Paper. *Works in progress, reports, or completed manuscripts that use qualitative or quantitative approaches to address theory and practice of media literacy. A 15 minute presentation with other scholars and a respondent will encourage an academic dialogue of our field.

*Teaching Workshop.* Demonstrations of your practices of teaching media literacy in a variety of contexts: K-12, higher education, library, museum, after-school, religious education, public health, and social service programming. The workshop can be in a 30 minute or 60 minute format.

**

*Students’ Showcase. *Celebrating the practice of media literacy with K-12 or undergraduate students as they demonstrate their learning. Bring an example of a work product created by a learner and explain the rationale for the assignment and the process used to create it, along with the approach to assessment that you used. We encourage you to bring along your students to hear about their experiences and learning outcomes.

*Proposal Submission - Due Monday, January 9th 2017*

Go to the following link to submit your proposal: Call For Presentations <http://nmlc.comm.ccsu.edu/call-for-papers/>

Write your name, email, job title and affiliation and add the three following sections:

 1. A 300-word rationale or abstract that describes the purpose of the
    session and the content of your presentation. The abstract will
    appear on the website and the program.
 2. A 200-word description of the way you are planning to engage the
    audience in your presentation.
 3. A list of three to five bullet points of outcomes for the
    participants in your presentation.
For more information please contact Dr. Yonty Friesem at (friesem /at/ ccsu.edu) <mailto:(friesem /at/ ccsu.edu)>