[ecrea] Gorizia's FilmForum MAGIS Spring School

Mon Dec 12 01:32:49 GMT 2016

FilmForum 2017 – XV MAGIS Spring School – March 29th-April 1st, Gorizia (Italy)

*Deadline extension! New deadline for paper (or panel) proposals: December 31st, 2016.*

*NO TURNING BACK RE-THINKING THE POSTMODERN*

*Confirmed Keynote Speakers:*

Peter Alilunas (University of Oregon)

Jan-Christopher Horak (Director of UCLA Film & Television Archive and Professor for Critical Studies)

Ruggero Eugeni (Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore)

Peter Alilunas (University of Oregon)

Jussi Parikka (University of Southampton)

...and we are still waiting for more confirmations

The MAGIS – International Film Studies Spring School will celebrate its 15th edition by addressing the possible archaeologies and genealogies of the “postmodern”, whose framework, despite its hints about the End of History (from Lyotard’s “End of Great Narratives” [1979] to Fukuyama’s theories [1992]) seems to have today, most of all, a historical value.

In other words, in a moment when the notion of “postmodern” does not describe our present time anymore, we are compelled to ask ourselves whether the contemporary media landscape still has a name or not. More specifically, drawing on the speculations of many scholars and critics, such as Raoul Eshelman (2001), Alan Kirby (2006, 2009), and Nicholas Bourriaud (2009), who declared that postmodernism and postmodern culture have come to an end, we have to answer the following question: how can we define the post-postmodern era?

Our main goal, then, is to unravel the theoretical knots concerning the postmodern as a historical phenomenon and its aftermath within the epistemic frame of film and media studies. We will reflect in particular on the following topics: on the one hand, which film and media practices should be considered inherently postmodern; how film and media cultures developed during the postmodern era; how the political framework of the postmodern era (neoliberalism and post-fordism; LGBT movements; third wave feminism, etc.) influenced film and media production; and, more broadly, how we can imagine a media archaeology of the postmodern. On the other, referring to Supplanting the Postmodern (Rudrum and Stavris, 2015), we will investigate the field of post-postmodernism (mainly through the notions of remodernism, performatism, hypermodernism, automodernism etc.), opening new ways for the analysis of the contemporary film and media landscape, its practical groundwork, and its theoretical framework.

Drawing on their own specific disciplinary interests and methodological perspectives, the five sections of the School – Cinema and Contemporary Arts, Film Heritage, Media Archaeology, Porn Studies, and Post-Cinema – will explore different aspects of postmodern (and post-postmodern) culture and theory:

1) Cinema and Contemporary Arts: *THE END OF (ART) HISTORY-TELLING? REPRESENTING THE HISTORICAL PAST AND HISTORICIZING THE PAST IN THE ARTS AFTER THE POST MODERN*

2) Film Heritage: *MIGRATION AND POST-MODERN TRANSNATIONAL FILM CULTURE*

3) Media Archaeology: *NETWORK*

4) Porn Studies: *VIDEO (R)EVOLUTIONS*

5) Post-Cinema: *VR AND AR: A POST-CINEMATIC MODERNITY*

For more information, please visit our website: http://www.filmforumfestival.it/

FilmForum/MAGIS Spring School is an international film and media studies conference (especially aimed at MA and PhD students and early career researchers) organized by the University of Udine (Italy) in collaboration with: Concordia University, Montreal; Fachhochschule Potsdam; Goethe-Universität, Frankfurt am Main; Université de Lausanne; Université de Montréal; Université du Québec à Montréal; Université Sorbonne Nouvelle – Paris 3; University of Malta.

Inaugurated in 2003, FilmForum has now become one of the most important events in the field of film and media studies, also being considered highly influential across several other disciplines. The School is in fact internationally renowned for its interdisciplinary flair, for the originality of its approaches, and for its cutting edge topics.