[ecrea] De/Materializing Bodies: Activist Media Archives Symposium

Sat Oct 29 05:51:24 GMT 2016

The Studio for Media Activism & Critical Thought *at Ryerson University in Toronto warmly invites you to its 1-day symposium: *De/Materializing Bodies: Activist Media Archives*, *Saturday Nov 12, 10 AM to 9PM*

The Symposium will bring together *24 artists/activists/academics from across North America* to interrogate the affective relationship between materiality, archives, and cultural practice. Within Canada and the U.S., much archival material documenting/by marginalized groups is dematerial(iz-ed/ing); we will consider both why this is occurring and how we can create/have created new archival practices to reincorporate lost records, voices, affects and bodies.

As part of the symposium, we are pleased to host the Toronto premiere of the film *"A Truth To Be Told: The 60's Scoop in the Splatsin Community" *(Canada 2016). The film's producer, *Dr. Raven Sinclair*, will speak to the ways in which this film has rematerialized the lived experience of colonialism for Indigenous communities in Canada.

*When*:Saturday November 12 2016
           Symposium: 10AM. to 5PM 80 Gould St., Toronto
           Film Screening: 7PM Vari Hall, ENG 103, 245 Church St.
*Cost:* Symposium: $50 faculty, $25 students, no one turned away for lack of funds.

*Please register here:* http://www.eventbrite.com/e/activist-media-archives-dematerializing-bodies-tickets-28459459008 <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/activist-media-archives-dematerializing-bodies-tickets-28459459008>

*More information*: (thestudioformediaactivism /at/ gmail.com) <http://gmail.com>