[ecrea] SAM Postgraduate Symposium > Art as Meaning: Redefining Communication

Mon Oct 17 06:38:58 GMT 2016

  Art as Meaning: Redefining Communication

    When: 18 Nov 2016, 9-5

    Venue: Robert Webster Building, UNSW Kensington

    Who: School of the Arts & Media

    SAM Postgraduate Symposium

/“My work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance”//
/-Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes.

Intentional or unintentional, an audience reads a message in the works we create. “I love it” and “I hate it” are visceral reactions to the messages conveyed. Regardless of the medium, and the tools used to create, they all share a commonality: the conveyance of meaning. What meanings are conveyed? How? For what purpose? The focus of this conference is to turn our attention to the messages that artists are sharing and to discuss the meanings, themes, and ideologies present within artistic works that are understood by viewers, readers, and listeners. Throughout these talks, we hope to share the many ways that meaning is imparted across disciplines, and broaden our definitions of communication.

Key note speaker: Emeritus Professor, Theo van Leeuwen, University of Technology, Sydney

      Call for Papers

Please send an abstract (tosampg /at/ unsw.edu.au) <mailto:(sampg /at/ unsw.edu.au)>.

A proposal of maximum 250 words is expected.

We are welcome to various fields of Arts: Literature, Cultural Studies, Media, Music, Creative Writing, Performing Arts, Journalism, and so on.

Deadline for submission: 30 October 2016