[ecrea] CFP Visual Sociology: Montreal 2017

Sat Oct 15 15:40:44 GMT 2016

For the 35th Annual Meeting /of the/International Visual Sociology Association 2017we invite scholarly and original submissions that relate to the theme:

*“Framing, Reframing: Visual Sociology, Goffman and the Everyday.”***

**

*& BEYOND:*We also welcome abstracts that address other topics relating to visual methods, theories, and the visual analysis of society, culture and social relationships, and are not limited to the general themes of the conference.

*Where:*Montreal, Canada.

(Concordia University, Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Society and Culture [CISSC])

*When*: June 19 - 22, 2017.

*Submission Deadlines: *Dec. 22 2016 Paper abstracts

Feb. 22 2017 Poster & exhibit abstracts

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS: IVSA 2017*

The 2017 IVSA conference is dedicated to exploring the concepts of “Framing & Reframing”, and “The Everyday” in honor of one of Canada’s most influential sociologists, and also one of the most cited authors in the humanities and social science (/Times Higher Education Guide/, 2007), Erving Goffman. By drawing on eclectic sources, modelling cross-disciplinary knowledge building, and developing a range of metaconcepts to help analyze “communication and conduct in everyday life,” Goffman’s work challenges visual sociology to devise new ways to dialogue with audiences across the academy, bring sociological understandings to the micro level of the everyday, and connect the practice of sociology to broader public issues. As Marilyn Merritt noted in a recent address:

Today we are still faced with Goffman’s concern that categorization by ethnicity, race, and gender do not adequately index the complexity of social identities and how they are structured in real life. The fact of complex social identities and the need for public institutions to figure out ways to accommodate to a broader range of acceptable behavior has become a crisis in many of our schools and other public settings. More now than ever, we need better understanding of the complex elements of civility in our globalizing world.

Goffman (1922-1982) was born in Alberta, Canada to Ukrainian Jewish immigrants: he studied sociology at the University of Toronto, and completed his Masters and PhD at the University of Chicago. His work is of enduring interest in Visual Sociology and beyond. Goffman’s legacy extends from “impression management” to “face-work and selfhood”, “dramaturgy” to “total institutions” and merits re-visiting in the context of 21^st century mediated culture.

*Possible topics include but are not limited to:*

  * Reframing Goffman and the visual
  * Framing, reframing visual methodologies
  * Framing, reframing visual theory
  * “Facing” and framing social change
  * Activism, engagement and “situatedness”
  * Visibility, invisibility and stigma
  * Dramaturgy and performance
  * Surveillance and resurgence
  * Images and identity
  * Game playing, social interaction and virtual image worlds
  * Presentation rituals and social order
  * Impression management and social media
  * The senses in everyday life
  * Gatherings and encounters: sociological publics
  * Hyper-ritualization and gender ads in the 21^st century
  * Visual ethics, collaboration & reflexivity in research
  * Framing the city

We welcome a wide range of creative approaches, ideas and presentations, including papers with images, videos, photo essays, multi-media, fine arts and other modes of visual expression.

*ABOUT IVSA & THE CONFERENCE*

“The IVSA is a non-profit, democratic and academically oriented professional organization devoted to the visual study of society, culture, and social relationships. Our members represent a wide spectrum of disciplines, including sociology, anthropology, education, visual communication, photography, filmmaking, art and journalism” (visualsociology.org <http://visualsociology.org>). Whilst strongly rooted in the discipline of sociology, the IVSA welcomes participation from a wide range of disciplinary and artistic approaches. We also encourage those unfamiliar with visual methods and analysis to visually innovate and experiment in their respective areas of substantive specialization.

As well as panel sessions, the conference will include a student poster competition, research-creation exhibition, keynote address, and spotlight panels, “walking the city” experiences and workshops. The 2017 Rieger and Prosser Awards will be announced and celebrated.

We are excited to announce the first ever spotlight panel on /Visual Criminology/ that will coincide with the release of the first Routledge Handbook in this emerging area. We will also be featuring a spotlight panel on “Evaluating Students’ Visual Work in the Social Sciences” and a special focus on /Visual Pedagogies/.

*Publication opportunities:*/Visual Studies/ (IVSA affiliated), The /Journal of Video Ethnography/ and /The Senses and Society/ have expressed interest in publishing top papers from the conference.

Conference Website:http://www.ivsa2017.com/

/(submission guidelines will be posted here)///

Follow our updates here too:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/visualsociology.org/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_ivsa_/

Twitter:https://twitter.com/VisualScholars/Conference Hashtag: #IVSA2017/

CONTACT: (IVSAconf2017 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(IVSAconf2017 /at/ gmail.com)>