[ecrea] PhD Scholarships in Film Studies

Fri Oct 14 05:58:20 GMT 2016

*Applications are invited for _funded_ PhD studentships (open topic) in the PhD Programme in Film and Moving Image Studies at Concordia University (Montreal, Canada).*

*All PhD students in Film and Moving Image Studies receive at least 3 years of funding* and are eligible to work as Teaching Assistants as well as Research Assistants. Opportunities also exist for designing and teaching undergraduate courses. *Various University bursaries and fellowships are available as well*. International fee remission is available for foreign students. Canadian Students entering the program with a SSHRC or FRQSC fellowship receive an extra $10,000 top up from the School of Graduate Studies.

*Why pursue a doctorate in Film and Moving Image Studies at Concordia?*

Film and moving images are the dominant forms of contemporary visual culture. Because their reach transcends territorial borders and disciplinary horizons, and because of the complex way in which they can influence our views and our understanding of the world, moving images ask us to continually re-examine, re-interpret, and re-evaluate both /where/ and /how/ we stand in the world individually and collectively.

To make sense of this ever-evolving medium requires academic researchers who are committed to investigating its variegated forms, its history (or histories), its philosophies, its meanings, as well as the ideological perspectives that help shape or transform the ways we interact in a global society. *The doctoral program in Film and Moving Image Studies *endeavors to train the next generation of moving image scholars and to provide them with the critical tools with which to revisit the past and map the future of one of the most vibrant fields in the fine arts and humanities. It is a field whose landscape and boundaries keep shifting as its object of study both instigates and actively responds to artistic, economic, cultural and technological change.

Fostering interdisciplinarity in both research and teaching yet deeply rooted in the discipline of film and media studies and in the aesthetic, philosophical, social and political debates that have shaped it, the *PhD in Film and Moving Image Studies* provides an ideal environment for you to deepen your understanding of cinema and other moving image media from a wide variety of historical, cultural and theoretical perspectives. As a PhD candidate, you will be encouraged to expand your critical skills and deepen your approach to critical research methods for investigating film and moving image practices in different national and transnational contexts and periods. Our seminars, which are designed exclusively for doctoral students, host a robust range of scholarship in film and media history and theory that recognizes the value of pluralism in moving image research. At Concordia, you will join a vibrant and enthusiastic research community, and you will be mentored and work alongside our acclaimed prize-winning faculty members <http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cinema/about/faculty.html> while pursuing your scholarly goals and developing your own original scholarship.

Our students position themselves at the forefront of new scholarship by organizing screenings, workshops and seminars that interface with Montreal’s rich cultural and arts scene and beyond, and by actively disseminating their own research through conferences and publications. A plethora of distinguished guests participate in these events, while faculty and students from other fields and institutions contribute to discussions and activities.

Montreal is a throbbing cultural metropolis with an exceptional range of film venues <http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cinema/student-life/cinema-in-montreal.html> and museums, galleries and artist-run centers <http://www.concordia.ca/arts.html>.

For information about the program, please contact:

Dr. Martin Lefebvre, Program Director, Ph.D. Film and Moving Studies: (martin.lefebvre /at/ concordia.ca) <mailto:(martin.lefebvre /at/ concordia.ca)> or visit our Website at: https://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cinema/programs/graduate/film-moving-image-phd.html