[ecrea] Storymaking Symposium proposal submission deadline 9th September

Mon Jun 27 16:02:35 GMT 2016

Call for papers
Storymaking is a one day Symposium to be held on Friday 11th November 2016, at The Liverpool Screen School, Liverpool John Moores University organized in collaboration with the ICC (Institute of Cultural Capital).

The focus of this symposium is making stories with rather than just for the audience.

In the contemporary cultural landscape we can all self publish our novel, release our own films online and share our photography through numerous social media sites, gathering our own audience from across the globe. These new capabilities are altering the relationship between producers and consumers of cultural products and afford possibilities for new experiences that are collaborative.

Participatory culture is a new and developing area of media practice, which would benefit from exploration and discussion of; technologies that afford participation, the ethics of collaboration with users, the creative potential of working with an audience and methods to develop communities of users.

This discussion will allow a sharing of practice amongst those who already produce new media / digital content and work collaboratively with others and practitioners who are interested in developing work with audiences and users

The symposium will investigate approaches to participatory cultural practice and ask - what happens when the audience joins in?

Themes to explore might include (but are not limited to):
Participation in narrative projects
Creative collaboration
Guardianship of people’s stories
Providing a voice
Connecting people and places
Creating a social archive
Methods for creating a community of collaborators
Ethics and ownership
Audience versus participant

Presentations will be 20 minutes duration.

To submit a paper please email presentation title, name, affiliation (or company) and up to 250 word abstract to: Sarah Haynes – (s.haynes /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)<mailto:(s.haynes /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)> and Ian Bradley – (i.bradley /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)<mailto:(i.bradley /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)>

Deadline for submission of papers is 9th September 2016

This symposium is Supported by MeCCSA Practice Network