[ecrea] Call for papers: Conceptualising the Podcast: Interdisciplinary Analyses of New Aural Cultures

Wed Jun 15 20:41:55 GMT 2016

The deadline for our *Call for Chapters **is approaching:***

_Conceptualising the Podcast: Interdisciplinary Analyses of New Aural Cultures_

Edited by

Dr Dario Llinares – University of Brighton, UK.

Dr Neil Fox – Falmouth University, UK.

Richard Berry - University of Sunderland, UK.

On June 22nd 2015 Barak Obama appeared on Marc Maron’s WTF podcast. Perhaps this was just another interview for the President of the United States, however, it could arguably represented a symbolic acknowledgment of podcasting as a culturally prescient media form. In many ways the podcast remains a curiosity sitting on the periphery of mainstream forms, an esoteric offshoot of digital culture, in both content and form, indicative of a hybridised identity. Yet there are a vast range of podcasts being produced, reflecting hugely diverse thematic, generic and stylistic approaches. The most popular podcasts command download audiences in the millions and fervent fandom from listeners who ardently support the form’s individual and collective pleasures. In theorising the podcast one might focus on its liminal status between the mechanics of old and new media, between professional and amateur production values, and a reliance on mainstream industrial structures whilst retaining an alternative, even outsider, sensibility. In the present tumult of online media discourse the podcast could yet be the closest any new media form has got to realising a digital public sphere. Over the course of the development of our own film podcast - /The Cinematologists/_www.cinematologists.com <http://www.cinematologists.com> _- we have engaged in conversations about the material and theoretical implications of the medium and what it offers to the expansion of cultural conversation in our own area of film criticism and analysis. We have become increasingly interested in how might be conceptualised within wider media & cultural studies frameworks. Academic study of the podcast is presently somewhat limited in its scope, being largely focused on its potential usefulness in pedagogic practice. We believe this to be a pertinent juncture for research that interrogates the podcast from a range of disciplinary perspectives, which is the purpose of this edited collection. Therefore, we are inviting abstracts for contributing chapters within an edited collection that are representative of, but not limited to, the following areas:__

Podcasts in relationship to other media (old/new).

Podcasting and its differences/similarities to radio.

Podcasting and the democratisation of media production.

Podcast Audiences.

Podcaster as Identity.

Podcast Genres

Formal analysis of Podcasts.

Academia and Podcasting.

Podcasting as a Research Tool.

Podcasting and Identity Politics

Podcast as Transmedia.

Podcast and Research Dissemination

Podcasts and Pedagogy

We have had interest from the media/culture editor from *Palgrave Macmillan* and indent to submit a final application by September 1, 2016. If you are interested in contributing to a publication in this area please contact us. We are looking for abstracts, of no more the 250 words, to be submitted by *July 1, 2016*. Abstracts should be submitted in word format to (cinematologists /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(cinematologists /at/ gmail.com)> and include a 50 word biography. Any enquiries can be made to the same address.

http://www.cinematologists.com/call-for-chapters/

Dr Dario Llinares

Principal Lecturer in Contemporary Screen Media

Lacuna Place, HAL 218

University of Brighton, Hastings Campus

TN34 1EA

(D.Llinares /at/ brighton.ac.uk)