[ecrea] Capitalism, Crime and Media Conference, 22 April 2016, University of Winchester

Tue Apr 12 22:36:22 GMT 2016

Capitalism, Crime and Media Conference - 22 April 2016

​There is still time to sign up for this exciting event. Registration is free. Full details are available on our website:
https://capitalismcrimemedia.wordpress.com/

Capitalism, Crime and Media Conference
University of Winchester

One of the distinctive features of the new century is the centrality of media and processes of mediation in our experience and understanding of social reality. The Department of Applied Social Studies and the School of Media and Film at the University of Winchester are hosting an interdisciplinary conference to explore this development in relation to our understanding of contemporary social realities, particularly processes relating to capitalism, crime and processes of criminal justice.

Keynotes:

'Viewers with a job to do: The Extraordinary Case of Netflix's Making a Murderer'
Dr. Tanya Horeck (Anglia Ruskin University)

Bright Lights, Dark Places: Jimmy Savile, Celebrity and the Power(less) Elite
Dr. Simon Cross (Nottingham Trent University)

Special Guest:
Making a murderer: the case of the Cardiff Three
Michael O’Brien