[ecrea] Proposal for special issue of Political Communication: Political Communication in an Age of Crisis

Mon Feb 29 06:31:58 GMT 2016

From (N.M.Anstead /at/ LSE.AC.UK)

The 2016 conference for the Media and Politics section of the Political
Studies Association will be held at the London School of Economics in
December.

The theme of the conference is "Political Communication in an Age of
Crisis”. Political communication literature has long discussed the idea
of crisis, but this have largely been understood to mean crises in
political life, created by the behaviour of the media class or the media
management techniques deployed by the political class. Essentially, the
aim of the conference is to refocus the debate from an idea of crisis
that is endogenous to the discipline to one that is exogenous (and so
open up conversations about, for example, Syria and the migration
crisis, the institutional failures of the European Union and
post-financial crisis politics).

To accompany the conference, I am just in the process of drafting a
proposal to have a linked special issue of the journal Political
Communication, to be co-edited with Dan Jackson of Bournemouth
University and Ben O'Loughlin of Royal Holloway.

One element of the proposal involves suggesting possible articles that
might be submitted to the reviewing process. At this stage, all we would
need is authors, a title and a couple of lines positioning the piece.

If anyone is interested in being included in the proposal, then please
do drop me an email. The proposal has to be with the editorial team
before the end of Tuesday, so if you could send me anything before the
end of Monday (29th Feb), that would be great. Sorry for the short time
frame but details required are minimal and their is no formal obligation
at this stage.

Just to stress:

- In the context of this proposal, political communication is broadly
rather than narrowly understood (i.e. not just about elections or formal
politics).

- We are looking to be methodologically and geographically diverse in
the content.

- Finally while linked to the conference, it will be possible to submit
papers to the special issue without attending (although, for those of
you coming from further afield, London is lovely just prior to Christmas!).

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Also, do please forward this email onto anyone else who you think might
be interested in the topic

Yours with best wishes,

Nick