Archive for April 2016

[ecrea] Announcing Volume 9 in the Culture Machine Liquid Book Series: Really, We're Helping To Build This . . . Business: The Academia.edu Files

Sat Apr 09 13:11:09 GMT 2016

We are pleased to announce Volume 9 in the Culture Machine Liquid Book
Series <http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/books/series/liquid-books/>,
published by Open Humanities Press <http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/>:

/Really, We're Helping To Build This . . . Business: The Academia.edu
Files/.

This book can be accessed here:

http://liquidbooks.pbworks.com/w/page/106236504/The%20Academia_edu%20Files

/Really, We're Helping To Build This . . . Business: The Academia.edu
Files/, charts the recent debate about for-profit academic social
networking sites (aka research sharing platforms) such as Academia.edu,
ResearchGate and Mendeley. It features contributions from Gary Hall,
Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Eileen Joy and Guy Geltner, among others.
Initially put together by Gary Hall and Janneke Adema, /The Academia.edu
Files/, like all the titles in the Liquid Books series, is open for
editing by anyone.

The editors are particularly keen for users to contribute to the section
on alternative platforms
<http://liquidbooks.pbworks.com/w/page/106264335/Alternative%20Platforms>,
to raise awareness about the not-for-profit, institutionally supported
and/or scholarly-led alternative initiatives for sharing and discussing
research.

Dr. Janneke Adema | Research Fellow Digital Media | Centre for
Disruptive Media | School of Media and Performing Arts | Faculty of Arts
and Humanities | Coventry University |

(ademaj /at/ uni.coventry.ac.uk) <mailto:(ademaj /at/ uni.coventry.ac.uk)> |
www.openreflections.wordpress.com