[ecrea] CFP - Leisure Studies Association Annual Conference 2016

Sat Dec 12 12:39:42 GMT 2015

With apologies for cross-postings please find a cfp posted on behalf of
the conference organising committee, LJMU. Please address correspondence
to the conference email address given below. Best wishes Hazel

*Leisure Studies Association Annual Conference 2016*

*Call for Papers*

*Locating Leisure: Blurring Boundaries*

*LJMU Liverpool, UK*

*5-7^th July 2016*

**

Submissions of abstracts should be 250-350 words and submitted by email
to (LSA2016 /at/ ljmu.ac.uk) <mailto:(LSA2016 /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)> by *_Friday 26
February 2016._*

**

Taking place between 5-7 July, the Leisure Studies Association
Conference (LSA) 2016, hosted by Liverpool John Moores University, will
challenge thinking around definitions and categories of leisure.
Critical leisure studies has been founded on the questioning of
boundaries such as work/leisure, agency/structure, and this conference
seeks to continue this tradition. We’ll address the differing
perspectives of a broadly defined ‘leisure’ from arts and culture to
sport and wellbeing.

We are now accepting abstracts under the following subthemes:

_Blurring Public/Private_

This subtheme will explore the physical spaces of leisure experiences,
those that take place in public spaces or within the privacy of the home
and how these might intersect. It also looks at the future of
leisure/cultural/sport policy and how this is played out in public and
private spaces. This stream will also consider where those lines between
publically and privately owned spaces blur and the leisure implications
of this.

_Blurring Offline/Online_

Since the rise of public availability of the internet, people have more
options in how they spend, organise, plan and commemorate their leisure
times and experiences. At the launch and take-up of the internet, a
trend of academic research grew that suggested online relationships were
replacing offline ones. The assumption was that online relationships
were stronger, clearer and more 'real' than those offline. Then, a
second trend in the academic literature began that suggested that online
and offline relationships blended together, the online supporting the
offline. In recent years, either of these hypotheses could be true –
with the added possibility that offline interactions could support those
that are principally online. 'Virtuality' is in multiple facets of many
people's every day leisure lives: shopping, dating, fan communities and
holiday experiences. In this session we explore the potential for
complex intermeshing of the online and the offline in leisure
experiences, practices and relationships.

_Blurring Centres/Edges_

This subtheme considers the concept of the centres/edges binary in
relation to physical space. For example, the notion that Liverpool is an
edgy city has been explored extensively, we look at what this might mean
in the leisure context. The idea that centres and edges could be located
in different contexts such as access to leisure activity – this session
will investigate what happens at the edges and margins of places,
activities and policymaking.

_Blurring Vernacular/Spectacular_

We are increasingly coming to expect events and activities to be
spectacular, to feed the imagination and defy our expectations. With
each mega event comes an increasingly spectacular opening ceremony. This
subtheme considers the relation between what is spectacular with what is
mundane and the every day experiences of people. We’ll explore both the
spectacular and the vernacular as well as possible synergies and
intersections.

_Researching leisure: Pushing the boundaries?_

Presenting an opportunity to consider how we carry out our research,
this subtheme looks at:

•Pushing the methodological boundaries in our research

•Challenging our ontological and epistemological groundings

•Putting theory to work in our research – what different theorists can
offer leisure studies

•The relationship between our research, practice and policy

•Questions of ethics

•Historical perspectives of leisure

•Leisure legacies

Submissions of abstracts should be 250-350 words and submitted by email
to (LSA2016 /at/ ljmu.ac.uk) <mailto:(LSA2016 /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)> by *_Friday 26
February 2016._*

Please include the following in the abstracts:

•Proposed title of paper

•Proposed author names, position and full contact details

•Most relevant conference theme (Blurring Public/Private;
Offline/Online; Centres/Edges; Vernacular/Spectacular; Pushing the
boundaries?)

•Abstract main body, including background (outline of the context and/or
academic literature informing the research), approach (indication of the
broad theoretical orientation and/or methodological approach) and
significance (description and application of the original research
findings reported in the paper)

•Bibliographic references for any research cited in the abstract

Conference homepage and further information: http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/LSA2016